Multiple cpus

Post by Senth » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:48:13

I have a application running in Solairs 8 server with 12 cpus. The
application was coded to use 4 cpus. When I use "top" to monitor the
process, it always shows one cpu. Is there a command which can tell,
which cpus the program is using. I wanted to make sure the program
utilizes 4 cpus, instead of one.

Thanks ..

Multiple cpus

Post by Martien Verbrugge » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:39:27

On 21 Mar 2002 19:48:13 -0800,

Quote:> I have a application running in Solairs 8 server with 12 cpus. The
> application was coded to use 4 cpus. When I use "top" to monitor the
> process, it always shows one cpu. Is there a command which can tell,
> which cpus the program is using. I wanted to make sure the program
> utilizes 4 cpus, instead of one.

$ man ps

Look at the -L option. it'll show you how many threads your process is
running.

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen      | That's not a lie, it's a terminological
Trading Post Australia  | inexactitude.

Multiple cpus

Post by Marvi » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:40:49

Quote:> I have a application running in Solairs 8 server with 12 cpus. The
> application was coded to use 4 cpus. When I use "top" to monitor the
> process, it always shows one cpu. Is there a command which can tell,
> which cpus the program is using. I wanted to make sure the program
> utilizes 4 cpus, instead of one.

> Thanks ..

man pbind

Multiple cpus

Post by Joe Blogg » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:18:14

Quote:> I have a application running in Solairs 8 server with 12 cpus. The
> application was coded to use 4 cpus. When I use "top" to monitor the
> process, it always shows one cpu. Is there a command which can tell,
> which cpus the program is using. I wanted to make sure the program
> utilizes 4 cpus, instead of one.

> Thanks ..

"mpstat 1 30" might help to show the overall load across all your CPUs.

Multiple cpus

Post by Juergen Kei » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:47:51

> I have a application running in Solairs 8 server with 12 cpus. The
> application was coded to use 4 cpus. When I use "top" to monitor the
> process, it always shows one cpu.

If this is a threaded application, try "prstat -L" instead of top.

Multiple cpus

Post by Senth » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:38:15

Thanks to you all.

When I used mpstat 1 30, it says the process is using only one cpu all
the time. The same tool when ran on another sun server, its using all
the 4 cpus. Will the system restricts usage of multiple cpus? If so,
is there any system parameter, which can be set, so that the
application process can use multiple cpus.

Thanks again.

Multiple cpus

Post by Tony Walt » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:42:33

> When I used mpstat 1 30, it says the process is using only one cpu all
> the time. The same tool when ran on another sun server, its using all
> the 4 cpus. Will the system restricts usage of multiple cpus?

No.

Quote:>  If so,
> is there any system parameter, which can be set, so that the
> application process can use multiple cpus.

There is no such system parameter.  Unless something else[1] is
constraining the application to run on a specified number of CPUs then
the OS will run the application on as many CPUs as are available.

[1]"Something else"s include

The application is single threaded (so will only ever run on one CPU
at a time)

The application is written to produce only a maximum number of threads

Someone has bound the process to one CPU using pbind

Someone has defined processor sets using psrset and your application
is not allowed to run on a given processor set.

The latter two are not the default - by default the OS will attempt to
schedule as many threads arew created on as many CPUs as are online.

--
Tony

1. Machine with multiple CPUs: which CPU is running which process?

We have a symmatric multiprocesssing server with 4 CPUs.  Everyone
knows how to use "ps" command to get list of running processes, but I
need to know specifically which one of four CPU is running which
process out of so many processes running in the server.  Expecially, I
would like to be able to get list of processes running on a specific
CPU among those four CPUs.  Does anybody know how to?  Thank you in
advance.

2. Problem connecting to internet with SuSe 9.0

3. WANTED: SCRIPT TO USE UNIX PASSWD FILE

4. Taking advantage of multiple CPUs?

5. WHAT IS THE BEST GRAPHICS LIBRARY TO USE WITH LINUX ???

6. Multiple CPU's and Monitors Single keyboard and mouse

7. subscribing to mailing lists

8. Can Linux Handle Multiple CPU's

9. Compilation using multiple CPUs with Sparc and GCC

10. Does Linux 6.0 setup detect multiple CPU systems?

11. snmp multiple cpu's

12. Multiple CPU