Solaris 9 Newbie: C compiler problem

Post by Dante Bel » Fri, 30 May 2003 13:10:25

Hi,

When I enter cc on the command line I get:

/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed

I was trying to build gqview using configure and get:

checking for C compiler default outptu... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create exectuables.

How do I proceed to figure out what's missing here?

Thanks,
Dante

Solaris 9 Newbie: C compiler problem

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 30 May 2003 14:17:31

On Wed, 28 May 2003, it was written:

Quote:> This is a FAQ: http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

> Bottom line, buy the Solari cc compiler from SUN or get a 30-day demo
> license from SUN _OR_ install gcc, which is on one of the installation
> disks.

... AND remove /usr/ucb from your PATH.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 30 May 2003 14:36:22

> ... AND remove /usr/ucb from your PATH.

        And not to mention pkgrm them pesky UCB packages - SUNWscpr,
        SUNWscpu, SUNWsrh, SUNWsra and SUNWscplp.

-am     ? 2003

Post by Dante Bel » Sat, 31 May 2003 03:02:54

>> ... AND remove /usr/ucb from your PATH.

>    And not to mention pkgrm them pesky UCB packages - SUNWscpr,
>    SUNWscpu, SUNWsrh, SUNWsra and SUNWscplp.

> -am        ? 2003

Hi, Thanks for the info...got things basically working but have another
issue.  I'm running the configure script for gqview and get the following
error:

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could nto be found
*** If GLIB was insalled in PREFIX, make sure thate PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config

glib-config is in my path (/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config) and I set the
environment variable export GLIB_CONFIG=/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config and can
execute it using $GLIB-CONFIG --version which returns 1.2.10

Not sure what's wrong,
Dante

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 31 May 2003 03:19:20

> Hi, Thanks for the info...got things basically working but have another
> issue.  I'm running the configure script for gqview and get the following
> error:

> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
> *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could nto be found
> *** If GLIB was insalled in PREFIX, make sure thate PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to glib-config

> glib-config is in my path (/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config) and I set the
> environment variable export GLIB_CONFIG=/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config and can
> execute it using $GLIB-CONFIG --version which returns 1.2.10

/usr/sfw/lib/pkgconfig/glib.pc

[pkgconfig]# cat glib.pc
prefix=/usr/sfw
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: GLib
Version: 1.2.10
Libs: -L${libdir} -R{libdir} -lglib
Cflags: -I${includedir}/glib-1.2 -I${libdir}/glib/include

Post by Dante Bel » Sat, 31 May 2003 05:32:50

>> Hi, Thanks for the info...got things basically working but have another
>> issue.  I'm running the configure script for gqview and get the following
>> error:

>> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
>> *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could nto be found
>> *** If GLIB was insalled in PREFIX, make sure thate PREFIX/bin is in
>> *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
>> *** full path to glib-config

>> glib-config is in my path (/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config) and I set the
>> environment variable export GLIB_CONFIG=/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config and can
>> execute it using $GLIB-CONFIG --version which returns 1.2.10

> /usr/sfw/lib/pkgconfig/glib.pc

> [pkgconfig]# cat glib.pc
> prefix=/usr/sfw
> exec_prefix=${prefix}
> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
> includedir=${prefix}/include

> Name: GLib
> Version: 1.2.10
> Libs: -L${libdir} -R{libdir} -lglib
> Cflags: -I${includedir}/glib-1.2 -I${libdir}/glib/include

Hi, glib.pc is exactly like yours, but still have the problem.  BTW on the
libs line why isn't it -R${libdir} ?

Dante

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 31 May 2003 05:51:52

> Hi, glib.pc is exactly like yours, but still have the problem.  BTW on the
> libs line why isn't it -R${libdir} ?

Because I added that to ensure that the compiled binary would provide the
necessary run-time linking information to ld.so.1.

Are you certain that glib-config is in your PATH?

$ which glib-config

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sat, 31 May 2003 09:12:24

|Hi, Thanks for the info...got things basically working but have another
|issue.  I'm running the configure script for gqview and get the following
|error:

Does config.log contain any more useful error messages?  (it often does
when configure fails)

1. Newbie - C Compiler for Solaris 8

Is there a free compiler out there for Solaris 8 machine with a Sparc
processor because it didn't come with one.  I was hopeing to get a gcc
compiler, but I don't know where to look.  Can anyone help.

Thanks

2. IP_MASQ and windows networking (WINS)

3. Newbie: Solaris 2.7 compiler

4. Problem widh an Ultra 10 ?

5. Newbie questions on Solaris C compiler

6. Slow Network Connects from Linux 1.2.8 to SunOS 5.4 Hosts

7. Newbie: C compiler for Solaris 2.6

8. *** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING *** (help-2.01)

9. Compiler Problem--Newbie question

10. Newbie-Compiler Problems

11. Installation problems with C-compiler and Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 on a SunFire V100

12. Problem with Solaris C++ compiler

13. gcc compiler problem on Solaris 7