blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:32:52

> Even Rich may not have the time to know EVERYTHING, at least not 100%
> correctly, as a recent SB1k vs. SB2k discussion showed.

But I do TRY to know everything.  :-)

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by John D Groenve » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:02:59

Quote:>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread...

Here's the more portable link to the top of that thread.
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=1101398670.470145.22950%40f14...>

John

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Giorgos Keramida » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:08:13

>> > Even Rich may not have the time to know EVERYTHING, at least not 100%
>> > correctly, as a recent SB1k vs. SB2k discussion showed.

>> But I do TRY to know everything.  :-)

> "There is only do and not do.  There is no try"--Yoda

"There is also no Yoda"--Giorgos

i.e. some times, the effort put into trying is worth in itself a lot :)

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Gary R. Schmid » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:53:02

[SNIP]
Quote:> GMAT trainers would call that "poor argumentation".

                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Any so-called
"trainer" who used such a word should be sentenced to life in front of a
firing squad.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

                   whether you were up them with or not
                                      - Barry Humphries

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Martin Bochni » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:12:44

> [SNIP]

>> GMAT trainers would call that "poor argumentation".

>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Any so-called
> "trainer" who used such a word should be sentenced to life in front of a
> firing squad.

>     Cheers,
>         Gary    B-)

http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en&noframes=1&query=trainer...

http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en&noframes=1&query=argumen...

Could you enlighten us and tell us WHY, please?

"reasoning"        instead of "argumentation"
"coach" or "guide" instead of "trainer"

Or what?!

'ever heard of the "word" (or "term" ... )  "synonym"  ??
How many foreign languages do YOU speak, btw ?
(Three in my personal case.)

martin

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Gary R. Schmid » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:21:27

>> [SNIP]

>>> GMAT trainers would call that "poor argumentation".

>>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Any so-called
>> "trainer" who used such a word should be sentenced to life in front of
>> a firing squad.

>>     Cheers,
>>         Gary    B-)

> http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en&noframes=1&query=trainer...

> http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en&noframes=1&query=argumen...

> Could you enlighten us and tell us WHY, please?

Because "argumentation" is a pointlessly long word, and seldom used in
(Commonwealth) English.  "Poor reasoning" is far more readily understood.

Quote:> "reasoning"        instead of "argumentation"

Now why couldn't you have used that in the first place?

Quote:> "coach" or "guide" instead of "trainer"

No problem with the word.  (Well, IMHO many/most "trainers" are
incapable of actually training their clients.  (And yes, I _do_ know
trainers, most, if not all, are ex-teachers, and do a very good job.
It's just that the ones that I've had the misfortune to deal with where
they are trying to train me and/or my staff have been useless))

Quote:

> Or what?!

> 'ever heard of the "word" (or "term" ... )  "synonym"  ??
> How many foreign languages do YOU speak, btw ?
> (Three in my personal case.)

Well, I only really speak/read/write two, English and French, but if you
separate Commonwealth English from American English, then it's three.  I
can puzzle out Latin and Spanish and Italian, Basque takes a bit longer,
I'd have to get my ear in again, it's been close to two decades, and the
German is over three decades rusted.

Post by dsk.. » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 04:15:54

> My point of view.

> I think this is bullshit. Not blastwave is in a financial crises, but
> Dennis is. Dennis != Blastwave. As for me the three machines which are
> hosted in Erlangen will be as long as they need to. And we have a lot of
> support.

[...]

Quote:> So please stop this stupid "Blastwave will die, if we don't find somone
> to pay Dennis bills." blurbs and move on.

Let me tell you about my experience with Dennis.

We sell a piece of commercial software for Linux and UNIX, and Dennis
convinced us to put a banner ad up on Blastwave.  We made a deal to run
the banner ad for three months.

All the while, Dennis was privately e-mailing me complaining that we
didn't sell precompiled versions of our software for Solaris 10, or for
Solaris on Intel.  Well, it's true: We don't.  We sell precompiled
binary packages for the most popular platforms, and distribute a
source-code version for everyone else.   We have customers happily
running our software on Solaris on Intel.

Dennis also complained about our company name ("Roaring Penguin"),
saying that it turned off Solaris users.  Well, sorry!  That has been
our name since 1999, and Dennis knew that when he first agreed to run
the ad.

Anyway, Dennis posted a pretty sarcastic blog entry criticising us,
basically calling us stupid and misguided for not making Solaris 10 and
Solaris Intel packages.  So I got angry, and Dennis agreed to pull our
ad and refund our unused ad money.

Dennis still owes us the money.  So please donate to Blastwave so that
we can be paid what we're owed.

Honestly, sometimes I think Dennis is his own worst enemy sometimes.

Regards,

David.