blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by bkelli.. » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:54:14

The blastwave project might go under due to bandwidth costs. Blastwave
project director Dennis Clarke has looked for corporate sponsorship but
hasn't had much luck, it would be a real shame to see this project
disappear. You can help out by signing the user survey at:
    http://www.blastwave.org/survey/index.html
If you're a Solaris Admin who has never used blastwave, you'll want to
check it out. It makes open source software available as packages for
easy installation.

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Coy Hil » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 04:18:29

>>The blastwave project might go under due to bandwidth costs. Blastwave
>>project director Dennis Clarke has looked for corporate sponsorship but
>>hasn't had much luck, it would be a real shame to see this project
>>disappear. You can help out by signing the user survey at:
>>    http://www.blastwave.org/survey/index.html
>>If you're a Solaris Admin who has never used blastwave, you'll want to
>>check it out. It makes open source software available as packages for
>>easy installation.

> Is this a new request for funds or someone who's been living under a
> rock for the last couple months?  Last I heard, Dennis mortgaged his
> house and other things to keep blastwave on line and finally got someone
> inside SUN to help out.  Has this changed?

This is new.  It was just put up overnight.

--
Coy Hile

blastwave.org S.O.S.

My point of view.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:00:53 +0200

Subject: Re: [csw-maintainers] please check the latest entry on www.blastwave.org

Hello James,

Quote:> in case anyone missed it, please read the top entry on blastwave.org
> this is real, if something doesn't change, there will be no packages
> to maintain.

I think this is bullshit. Not blastwave is in a financial crises, but
Dennis is. Dennis != Blastwave. As for me the three machines which are
hosted in Erlangen will be as long as they need to. And we have a lot of
support.

If someone thinks that the three machines are not enough you can easily
send more over but please coordinate. I don't see a reason to host
machines which will not used by anyone.

 From my point of view blastwave was always a community project which
will never fund itself. Some people in here think different about it. I
am totally aware of this. However I will not stop to support blastwave
neither will Michael or Ishan, I guess. And even if we do, I still
think that at least one of the 57 Maintainers will be able to provide
the needed infrastructure.

So please stop this stupid "Blastwave will die, if we don't find somone
to pay Dennis bills." blurbs and move on.

        Thomas

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:45:26 +0200

Hello,

Quote:> how much equipment do you have at this facility, what have the monthly
> power usage been, and how much bandwidth is used monthly into the build
> farm?

I am not aware of the actual numbers. But we're at an university where
we have plenty of all the above. Since www.blastwave.org we had absolut
no downtime. We powercycled the machine once to upgrade some disks.

        Thomas

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:41:59 +0200

Hello Dennis,

Quote:> your loyalty is noted ... and quite frankly I have to wonder at how
> you can be so blunt and cold. I am currently and have been the primary
> source of funds for blastwave since day 0.  I have no problem with
> people using everything and I have not asked anyone for anything until
> now.  Three years later. But thank you for showing your true colors
> and I have to wonder at you.  I really do.

this has nothing todo with my loyalty. And I think that loyalty is the
wrong way to approach the current situation. Just like it was the last
time. Everyone stand mouth shut, some payed a view bugs to get rid of
their 'guilt'. So did I. I kept my mouth shut. If I wouldn't be loyal to
blastwave, I had left the whole project including my support when the
issue was raised for the first time. I was very angry that the money
which was 'raised' by about 50 maintainers (and I was a very active at
this time) for a hole that doesn't brought the project forward. And to
be precise I often thought about it.

However. The first thing that I have to say about the situation. Is that
you should never give more than you can handle without getting anything
back for it. For elaboration on the topic see [1].

The second thing that comes in my mind is that: You always seem to
expect that the money you spend on blastwave will be multiplied and come
back to you. I don't think that it ever will happen. And if this was
your intention, you should stop it, because I don't think that it is
going to pay off.

I approached you more than once to move the servers and with the servers
the costs away from you. The first time was at least a year ago. But you
seem to want to keep them near you.  There are several offers: One from
Sun itself, one from the university where www.blastwave.org was hosted,
on from me and I am sure that Joerg in Berlin at berlios would also be
able to arrange something.

I am totally aware that this doesn't suite you, but I think we have to
speak open to solve this issue. And from my point of view it doesn't
make sense to let history repeat itself. But to find a solution, both
for you and for blastwave.

I see no point in spending money into your private serverfarm when we can
have the same service or even better service somewhere else for absolut
nothing.

        Thomas

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0061091480/qid=11254119...

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:45:30 +0200

Hello,

Quote:> [x] NO CONFIDENCE

but this vote doesn't brings us forward. For me: I don't trust you. You
too often announced stuff that never happened. And most of the time
you're talking about fiction or stuff that isn't coherent with the
facts. Also I miss the transparency in what you do, who do you talk to
and for what you spend so much money.

And if we don't change anything and just move on we wait another year
until you're again unsatisfied with the situation and start another
'blastwave will die' campaign to blackmail our users to support you
financial. And this is something at least I can *not* accept. No more.
We saw it, last time I shut up to doesn't spoil your attempt this time I
simply go public.

        Thomas

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by ger.. » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:29:42

> My point of view.
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:00:53 +0200

> Subject: Re: [csw-maintainers] please check the
> latest entry on www.blastwave.org

> > in case anyone missed it, please read the top entry on blastwave.org
> > this is real, if something doesn't change, there will be no packages
> > to maintain.
> I think this is bullshit. Not blastwave is in a financial crises, but
> Dennis is. Dennis != Blastwave.

Not to put too fine a point on it but Dennis is blastwave.org until:
25-Sep-2006 12:55:09 UTC
and beyond should he so desire to extend ownership of that domain...
Which means he can do whatever he wants with it.

Seems like he's sunk a lot of money into this project : <
I hope he recovers some of it but Im not sure what the business model
was...

Quote:> As for me the three machines which are
> hosted in Erlangen will be as long as they need to. And we have a lot of
> support.

A nice mirror. Thank you : > And it cost you how many houses...?

Quote:>  From my point of view blastwave was always a community project which
> will never fund itself.

Never in your universe I guess : <

Not the biggest fan of this project myself but it beats the heck out
of sunfreeware for people who dont have the time or skill sets to
build their own stuff.

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Andreas F. Borche » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:16:50

Quote:> I think this is bullshit. Not blastwave is in a financial crises, but
> Dennis is. Dennis != Blastwave.

I think that this is unfair.

Blastwave is not the only project of this kind that asks for donations.
sunfreeware.com does likewise on its main page.

IMHO, we shall be thankful to Dennis to have brought this project into
life. And its popularity is certainly challenging for Dennis and his
community of supporters. However, whatever disagreements exist regarding
the future organization of Blastwave we should respect that Blastwave is
his project and that he has every right to ask for donations. This remains
also true if others out of the community are offering resources for free.

Andreas.

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Martin Bochni » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:23:03

>>I think this is bullshit. Not blastwave is in a financial crises, but
>>Dennis is. Dennis != Blastwave.

> I think that this is unfair.

> Blastwave is not the only project of this kind that asks for donations.
> sunfreeware.com does likewise on its main page.

> IMHO, we shall be thankful to Dennis to have brought this project into
> life. And its popularity is certainly challenging for Dennis and his
> community of supporters. However, whatever disagreements exist regarding
> the future organization of Blastwave we should respect that Blastwave is
> his project and that he has every right to ask for donations. This remains
> also true if others out of the community are offering resources for free.

> Andreas.

Andreas,

you SAY it!
As I don't have full insight into Dennis' financial transactions, I
cannot "control" him, true.
But damn, what right on earth would I have to do so (I am maintainer of
CSWbochs and CSWqemu [latter is just in the 2beReleased folder in
www:/opt/csw/var/newpkgs]) ???
He may not be a usual CS guy like T.Glanzmann is.
But he is a great visionary!! He started from scratch. And he did so at
a time when sunfreeware.com had already been well established, not to
forget the "CompanionCD".
However - he managed to convince more and more people to support his
idea (not him!) and to both join blastwave or donate hardware.
The RESULT is today's www.blastwave.org: The biggest, most versatile,
most complete and most current compilation (or even distribution) of
precompiled Solaris freeware I am aware of!!!
Sure, many people worked * it, but Dennis and Phil started from 0,
built the necessary infrastructure (plus pkg-get for example), invested
lots of personal energy, time and private money into the project, wrote
the guidlines, worked on building "connections" and so forth.
Dennis also does a good job in keeping the website "hot" and up to date
building the dvd and so on.

Thomas Glanzmann on the other hand seems to heavily underestimate the
huge impact of a good centralized supervision.
And, in my personal experience, he tends to underrate the power of
passionately making IDEAS reality.

Thomas Glanzmann has proved several times, what kind of illiberal and
arrogant person he is.

I thought about that several times.
Now it has become absolutely clear to everyone, that my initial rating
was not too wrong.

T.GLANZMANN: What gives you the right to publicly call Dennis a liar?
("... I do not trust him ...")
Where is glanz-super-mann.org?
Did you finally port FAUmachine to Solaris?

Martin Bochnig

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Martin Bochni » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:44:06

T.GLANZMANN:

Providing Dennis with that URL
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0061091480/qid=11254119...
is not just all of the following together, if not even multiplied by
each other:

Unversch?mtheit {f}    infamy
    Unversch?mtheiten {pl}        infamies
Unversch?mtheit {f}; Zumutung {f}; Dreistigkeit {f}; Unverfrorenheit
{f}     impertinence
    Unversch?mtheiten {pl}; Zumutungen {pl}; Dreistigkeiten {pl}
impertinences
Unversch?mtheit {f}    brazenness
Unversch?mtheit {f}    lip
Unversch?mtheit {f}; Keckheit {f}      sauciness
Unversch?mtheit {f}; Frechheit {f}     gall
Frechheit {f}; Unversch?mtheit {f}     nerve
Frechheit {f}; Unversch?mtheit {f}; Dreistigkeit {f}; Chuzpe {f}       impudence
Was fr eine Unversch?mtheit!         What a nerve!

but also unmasks your true personality.

Have fun!

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:45:05

>The blastwave project might go under due to bandwidth costs. Blastwave

This is not true, sorry.

A long time ago (More than a year), I did offer bandwidth at berlios.de

www.blastwave.org is located in Uni-Erlangen since more than a year
and the machines in Canada are used for compilation purposes which
does not result in a big network traffic. A cheap 6Mbit DSL with
flatrate should be sufficient for the location in Canada.

Dennis of course is in financial trouble. But Dennis != Blastwave (*).
Dennis a man and Blastwave is a project of the people who maintain Blastwave.

*) Even though Blastwave is Dennis "Baby".

--

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Andreas F. Borche » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:41:07

>>The blastwave project might go under due to bandwidth costs. Blastwave

> This is not true, sorry.

Dennis does not claim anything regarding bandwidth costs on his plea
for donations at www.blastwave.org. Here is his essential claim
from www.blastwave.org:

   We are due to be evicted from the datacenter in three days,
   and there is little that I can do personally to stop this.

This was perhaps misrepresented by the OP.

Quote:> Dennis of course is in financial trouble.

I do not think that comp.unix.solaris is the right place to discuss the
actual state of Dennis' financial affairs. Anyone who starts a project
like Blastwave has, IMHO, the m*right to ask for donations.

I did not notice yet that Erlangen university is actually hosting
www.blastwave.org. However, I still do not think that guesses regarding
Dennis' motives for his plea or even public claims regarding his financial
state are appropriate even when Erlangen university feels uncomfortable
if pleas for donations or logos from sponsors are to be hosted.

Andreas.

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:47:27

Quote:

>Dennis does not claim anything regarding bandwidth costs on his plea
>for donations at www.blastwave.org. Here is his essential claim
>from www.blastwave.org:

>   We are due to be evicted from the datacenter in three days,
>   and there is little that I can do personally to stop this.

There was a proposal from Thomas from Uni Erlangen to host even
more than the web services from Blastwave....

Quote:>> Dennis of course is in financial trouble.

>I do not think that comp.unix.solaris is the right place to discuss the
>actual state of Dennis' financial affairs. Anyone who starts a project
>like Blastwave has, IMHO, the m*right to ask for donations.

I would never started this discussion here but Dennis did himself some
time ago.

--

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Andreas F. Borche » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:29:44

Quote:> I would never started this discussion here but Dennis did himself some
> time ago.

In comp.unix.solaris? Message-ID?

Andreas.

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by John D Groenve » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:55:11

>> I would never started this discussion here but Dennis did himself some
>> time ago.

>In comp.unix.solaris? Message-ID?

No, not in c.u.s, as far as I can Google.

John

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:25:07

Hello John,

Quote:> No, not in c.u.s, as far as I can Google.

not in person. But indirect:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread...

however. It doesn't matter at all.

        Thomas

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Martin Bochni » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 05:38:49

> not in person. But indirect:

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread...

Oh, you learned it second hand.
Even Rich may not have the time to know EVERYTHING, at least not 100%
correctly, as a recent SB1k vs. SB2k discussion showed.

Quote:> however. It doesn't matter at all.

>    Thomas

GMAT trainers would call that "poor argumentation".

Maybe it doesn't matter in your point of view, maybe just because it
doesn't affect YOUR own personal and business relationships and YOUR life?

martin

blastwave.org S.O.S.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 07:44:37

>> I would never started this discussion here but Dennis did himself some
>> time ago.

>In comp.unix.solaris? Message-ID?

In c.u.s and on www.blastwave.org.

IIRC to the end of last year....

--

1. SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

                I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
the superuser root.

2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
"make clean" after the first one has been completed

3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
end of the compilation which goes as follows

"Root device is (3,2)
Boot sector 512 bytes
Setup is 4336 bytes
System is 560 KB
System is too big
Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
MISSING. ( something about *.o)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

2. Access to DOS partition on the second drive

3. European Hardware

4. mutt packages on blastwave.org updated to version 1.5.6

5. Kppp problems in OpenLinux 2.3 from Caldera

6. The Blastwave.org Software Distribution DVD Subscription Service

7. Getting Access To Internet Time Server Through External Firewall

8. Mail lists now available at blastwave.org

9. Blastwave.org

10. blastwave.org - offline package installation

11. Blastwave.org packages with insane dependencies

12. Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org