Who have already used CD writer for unix plateform and particularly Solaris

Who have already used CD writer for unix plateform and particularly Solaris

Post by Pascal Monschei » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

  I am looking for experience with CD writer in unix world and particularly
SUN-Solaris.
Freeware, shareware or not free : I am interested.

  Thank you very much,

Pascal Monschein

Post by Jan Just Keijs » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>  I am looking for experience with CD writer in unix world and particularly
>SUN-Solaris.
>Freeware, shareware or not free : I am interested.

I've used CD-writers on Solaris and on AIX. You can use public domain or
commercial software, although I'd prefer the public domain stuff.

Open Source:
- makeisofs + cdrecord
- BurnIt

Commercial:
- iXos jukebox software (nice)
- Gear jukebox software (so-so)

The biggest problem with CD writers is the SCSI address/adapter: your safest
bet is to put the CD writer on its own dedicated SCSI adapter with no other
devices attached to it (except maybe the disk you want to transfer the data
from). I've had tons of problems with a SCSI CD writer which was attached to a
SCSI bus with 3 other devices attached, including a tape drive and the hard
disk which was used for paging - 50% of my CD's failed! After moving to a
separate SCSI device these problems went away.

HTH,

JJ

                 *NOTE*
   My Email return address is not correct
    in order to avoid mass mailings...
     These are the correct addresses
     (but with dashes between all letters):

  Jan Just (JJ) Keijser
  Unix Support Engineer / Configuration Manager
  Logica Inc. - Lexington MA

  Just to confuse some of those junkmailers:

  Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for
    the change to take effect. Reboot now? [OK]

  My views are my own...
                    flames > /dev/null 2>&1

Post by rfran.. » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >Hello,

> >  I am looking for experience with CD writer in unix world and
particularly
> >SUN-Solaris.
> >Freeware, shareware or not free : I am interested.

> I've used CD-writers on Solaris and on AIX. You can use public domain
or
> commercial software, although I'd prefer the public domain stuff.

> Open Source:
> - makeisofs + cdrecord
> - BurnIt

>  < ... snip ... >

   If you are comfortable compiling and installing Unix drivers, then
the "makeisfs + cdrecord" combination is a good one.  I've used it and
liked it.  You can get more info on this from the cdrecord author, at:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/priv
ate/cdrecord.html

--
 -- Rich