Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter

Post by Dennis Chebotare » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:16:26

Is there a way to configure all 4 ports of Quad Fast Etehernet Adapter on
Solaris 8 box (Sun E450)
to act as a single port with one ip address and 400 Mbit/s throughput?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis Chebotarev.

Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:33:03

> Is there a way to configure all 4 ports of Quad Fast Etehernet Adapter on
> Solaris 8 box (Sun E450)
> to act as a single port with one ip address and 400 Mbit/s throughput?

Yes, but you need to purchase the SunTrunking software.  It can bond
them together to give you a single port.  How well it works depends on
the switch you are attached to (if you use a switch) and the traffic
itself.

You can also use the IPMultipathing stuff in Solaris 8, but it's not
quite the same thing.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter

Post by Dennis Clark » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:40:51

> > Is there a way to configure all 4 ports of Quad Fast Etehernet Adapter on
> > Solaris 8 box (Sun E450)
> > to act as a single port with one ip address and 400 Mbit/s throughput?

> Yes, but you need to purchase the SunTrunking software.  It can bond
> them together to give you a single port.  How well it works depends on
> the switch you are attached to (if you use a switch) and the traffic
> itself.

> You can also use the IPMultipathing stuff in Solaris 8, but it's not
> quite the same thing.

Just my two cents worth here, if I may.

A Gigabit Ethernet interface is more efficient and more cost effective in the
long run.  The Sun Trunking software is just that, software.  A pure interface
works far better and more effectively.  You will need a switch with a gigabit
interface but they are cheap these days.

Dennis

Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter

Post by Mark » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:55:26

yes, but you need to buy the trunking software.  Otherwise, you could
also use IP MultiPathing which would allow you to send out through all 4
ports, but receive on just one.

> Is there a way to configure all 4 ports of Quad Fast Etehernet Adapter on
> Solaris 8 box (Sun E450)
> to act as a single port with one ip address and 400 Mbit/s throughput?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Dennis Chebotarev.

Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter

Post by Griff Mille » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:21:59

>>>Is there a way to configure all 4 ports of Quad Fast Etehernet Adapter on
>>>Solaris 8 box (Sun E450)
>>>to act as a single port with one ip address and 400 Mbit/s throughput?

>>Yes, but you need to purchase the SunTrunking software.  It can bond
>>them together to give you a single port.  How well it works depends on
>>the switch you are attached to (if you use a switch) and the traffic
>>itself.

>>You can also use the IPMultipathing stuff in Solaris 8, but it's not
>>quite the same thing.

> Just my two cents worth here, if I may.

> A Gigabit Ethernet interface is more efficient and more cost effective in the
> long run.  The Sun Trunking software is just that, software.  A pure interface
> works far better and more effectively.  You will need a switch with a gigabit
> interface but they are cheap these days.

Not only that, but even with Trunking, you don't get 4x100, you get 4 100's
that all respond to the same IP address. Not quite the same thing.

In other words, you're not going to be able to e.g. ftp a file at 400Mbit .
It will go at 100. However, you can do 4 separate simultaneous ftp sessions
at 100 .  See?

--
Griff Miller II                   | I  would   rather   be   exposed  to  the |
Manager of Information Technology | inconveniences    attending    too   much |

1. SLOW configuration of qfe (Quad Fast Ethernet) adapter

Background:  UE450, PCI Quad Fast Ethernet adapter + drivers, Solaris
2.6 + bundle

During the system boot, the ifconfig(1M) of the quad fast ethernet (qfe)
ports seems to take an inordinate amount of time, on the order of 2-3
minutes.  Configuring the hme port is almost immediate.  Reworking the
ifconfig of the qfe ports after the system is up is also immediate.  The
problem(?) seems to be related to the initial system boot up.

Could this delay in the qfe ifconfig be related to mismatches of 10MB
vs. 100MB or full vs. half duplex?  I can't work out the right combo of
settings for the ports to configure quickly.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Bill

2. Apache with Front Page Server extension

3. HELP: "watchdog timeout" error on quad fast ethernet adapter

4. Newbie?

5. Sun quad fast ethernet adapter and Solaris 2.5.1

6. Hi! To new to the Unix!

7. Sun Quad Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

8. writing FreeBSD drivers

9. Quad Ethernet SBus and Quad FastEthernet SBus adapters in Ultra2

10. Network adapter compatability HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

11. Quad Fast Ethernet Install

12. sbus quad fast ethernet, force 100FDX how??

13. Quad fast ethernet and aggregate bandwidth