Requirements matrix for Solaris 8,9, and 10

Requirements matrix for Solaris 8,9, and 10

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Mon, 10 May 2004 13:57:59

Does it exist?

Q: Does SPARCStation 5 is supported under Solaris 8, 9, and 10?

Thank you.

Requirements matrix for Solaris 8,9, and 10

Post by slr » Mon, 10 May 2004 14:44:31

On Sun, 9 May 2004 00:57:59 -0400, Ruby Tuesdays

>Does it exist?

>Q: Does SPARCStation 5 is supported under Solaris 8, 9, and 10?

I know 8 and 9 works for Sparc5, however, you should explore
docs.sun.com for more info. on the HW requirements.  The matrix
or other info. (and lots of it) located here.

--
 slrn is a command line news reader.
 please reply, to the newsgroup (s).

Post by Bruno Saverio Delbon » Mon, 10 May 2004 17:09:17

> Does it exist?

> Q: Does SPARCStation 5 is supported under Solaris 8, 9, and 10?

if you want to run solaris, then run solaris 7 on it. Otherwise a ss5 is
too slow for s8/s9. S10 is not supported. If you want to use for
something more useful, put netbsd or linucks on it

Requirements matrix for Solaris 8,9, and 10

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Mon, 10 May 2004 23:57:00

Thanks all.  I do not care so much for a speed, just for a practice where
I've been out using solaris for quite sometimes.

Just for curiosity, where can I get Solaris 7 download these days? Thanks

Post by slr » Tue, 11 May 2004 00:14:02

>Thanks all.  I do not care so much for a speed, just for a practice where
>I've been out using solaris for quite sometimes.

>Just for curiosity, where can I get Solaris 7 download these days? Thanks

I believed Solaris 7 was not free as download, you have to purchase
the OS.  One place might be eBay, but if you don't care about speed
then use Solaris 8/9 --free download from www.sun.com --> Download.

--
 slrn is a command line news reader.
 please reply, to the newsgroup (s).

Requirements matrix for Solaris 8,9, and 10

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Tue, 11 May 2004 01:40:40

Thanks.

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction on how to install and
configure the OS.

I've work with solaris since Sun 3 hardware and Sun OS (the early days) up
to Solaris 2.1.  Since then, I just read about it.

What I'm interested in is in the System Administration aspect such as :
- build the workstation from CD as standalone, diskless client, and diskfull
client
- using the tools provided by Sun to build workstation easily
- Best practice in term of sizing the disk, permission, etc.

If you find a site that might help me in the above, please send me the site
address so I can learn and practice.

Thank you.

Requirements matrix for Solaris 8,9, and 10

Quote:> Thanks.

Start by perusing the documentation at http://docs.sun.com

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

docs.sun.com and www.sun.com/bigadmin are two good places to start.

--

Post by Rich Tee » Tue, 11 May 2004 04:09:27

> Q: Does SPARCStation 5 is supported under Solaris 8, 9, and 10?

Solaris 9 is the last to support the SS5, so that's the one
you should use.  S9 has many improvements over earlier releases.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Rich Tee » Tue, 11 May 2004 04:12:57

> if you want to run solaris, then run solaris 7 on it. Otherwise a ss5 is
> too slow for s8/s9. S10 is not supported. If you want to use for

Provided the OP has enough memory, S9 will be faster than S7 or 8.
As you say, S10 is not supported.

Quote:> something more useful, put netbsd or linucks on it

Bah!

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Chris Thomps » Tue, 11 May 2004 22:45:14

>> if you want to run solaris, then run solaris 7 on it. Otherwise a ss5 is
>> too slow for s8/s9. S10 is not supported. If you want to use for

>Provided the OP has enough memory, S9 will be faster than S7 or 8.

Agreed - and how much memory is "enough" depends on what you want to do
with it. I'm sitting in front of a 110 MHz SPARCstation 5 with 64 MB and
running Solaris 9, which I use mostly as an X-terminal with unambitious
graphics (twm). If you're into CDE or (worse) GNOME then you would probably
want more than that...

(I ran Solaris 2.6 on it when it had only 32 MB of memory.)

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk