Configuring Hard Drive SCSI Bus

Post by Eric Bres » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:12:10

I have recently been working on a Solaris 7 system, on an Ultra 10,
with an external hard drive enclosure with a hard drive installed.

I believe I may be having some conflicts between the hard drive I have
installed and the SCSI bus that I connect to the work station.  In
other words, I think I have an Ultra Wide scsi hard drive installed
with the enclosure connected in a non Ultra Wide SCSI cable.

In the process of using the system, it seems to delay for some time
while some of the internal settings are creonfigured.  I figured this
based on messages which appear.

The messages in question contain a number of WARNINGS, referencing the
pci bus in question with the following messages:

WARNING <interface>
SCSI bus DATA IN phase parity error
WARNING <interface>
Target <n> reducing sync transfer rate
WARNING <interface>
SCSI bus DATA IN phase parity error
WARNING <interface>
Target <n> disabled wide SCSI mode
WARNING <interface>
Target <n> reverting to async. mode

Where interface is the actual interface being used and n represents
the SCSI address for the hard drive in question.

In the process of looking around some, I find reference to the glm
driver (which is indicated in the above mentioned interface), I find
that in glm.conf, in one of the /kernel subdirectories, allows for
some additional configuration.

What are the necessary configuration options I need to content with
and how are these set?

Will setting any of these risk any disk corruption due to incorrect
data handling (if I say to operate one way when I have it set
incorrect and/or incompatible with the existing equipment)?

I look forward to more details..

Eric Bresie

1. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

My Linux system had a hard disk crash just recently and I had to
replace the hard drive.  I did so and installed a "brand-new" copy of
RH 7.2 on it.  Previously it was running RH 6.2, but since I needed to
catch up a bit, it seemed like now was as good a time as any.....
The system is now up and running.

Now, I would like to restore my backup tapes on to it.  The system has
a HP SCSI DDS-3 tape drive on it, which I have used with tar to keep
backups.

The problem is Linux is no longer "seeing" my tape drive.

So, I look for the device file, and it looks "ok"

And I look to see if the device is known:
Ooops, no tape drive, just a disk.

Am I missing support in the kernel:
Well, the kernel seems to know about scsi tapes.

I also checked the physical connections to the drive and they seem "ok".

I'm not certain what to check next.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris

Compiler Resources, Inc.       Web Site   :  http://world.std.com/~compres
3 Proctor Street               voice      :  (508) 435-5016
Hopkinton, MA  01748  USA      fax        :  (508) 435-4847  (24 hours)

2. driver hp1100?

3. Can SCSI drives take down a SCSI bus?

4. libkdeui.so.1 versus libkdeui.so.2

5. Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives

6. Tape backups and CTAR

7. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

8. compiling new iBCS module

9. Problems using cdrecord to scsi cdwriter from scsi hard drive

10. SCSI CDROM corrupted my SCSI hard drive

11. WRONG HEADING - should be " Installing SUSE 6.4 on SCSI hard drives from SCSI CD"

12. Creating a hard drive image - sunos 5.7, scsi 20gb drive, archaic hardware

13. Recommended ULTRA SCSI / SCSI 3 Cards/Hard Drives?