rpc.bootparamd problems

Post by DP » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

oooookay, here's the setup. I've got a Sun 3/60 that I'm trying to
install NetBSD on. I'm netbooting it from a Sun Ultra 140 running
Solaris.

The Sun3 comes up, and is directed to boot from the network. It sends
out a RARP request, which is answered with an IP address by the Ultra.
TFTP is started up, and the netboot program gets successfully
transferred from the Ultra to the Sun3. From there, the Sun3 sends out a
broadcast asking for a bootparam server to figure out where to mount /.

Here's the problem. The Ultra is running rpc.bootparamd. and it DOESN'T
ANSWER. Using snoop (Solaris' built in equivelant to tcpdump), I can see
that the Ultra gets:

wind.flannel.net -> BROADCAST    BPARAM C WHOAMI? 10.0.2.20

In other words, a broadcast from the sun3 (wind) looking for a bootparam
server. And it simply doesn't answer. I tried running rpc.bootparamd on
a Pentium 166 also running Solaris and received the same results.

If it helps at all my /etc/bootparams file is:

wind
        root=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/root \
        swap=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/swap \
        domain=flannel.net

So why is it I get as far as getting it an IP, but then bootparamd
simply ignores broadcasts? Did the format of a bootparam broadcast
change between the time of the Sun3 ('88) and my Ultra so much that the
Ultra doesn't know what a Sun3 bootparam request loos like?

Any help appreciated.

Blah.

rpc.bootparamd problems

Post by Casper H.S. D » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Clue 1:

Quote:>wind.flannel.net -> BROADCAST    BPARAM C WHOAMI? 10.0.2.20

Snoop maps wind's address to "wind.flannel.net"

Quote:>If it helps at all my /etc/bootparams file is:
>wind
>        root=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/root \
>        swap=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/swap \
>        domain=flannel.net

But you have just 'wind" in your bootparam file.

Dup the entry and make the key read "wind.flannel.net"

Casper
--
Casper Dik - Sun Microsystems - via my guest account at the University

be fiction rather than truth.

rpc.bootparamd problems

Post by Toomas Soo » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: wind.flannel.net -> BROADCAST    BPARAM C WHOAMI? 10.0.2.20

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ use full name in bparams table....

: In other words, a broadcast from the sun3 (wind) looking for a bootparam
: server. And it simply doesn't answer. I tried running rpc.bootparamd on
: a Pentium 166 also running Solaris and received the same results.

: If it helps at all my /etc/bootparams file is:

: wind
:         root=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/root \
:         swap=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/swap \
:         domain=flannel.net

: So why is it I get as far as getting it an IP, but then bootparamd
: simply ignores broadcasts? Did the format of a bootparam broadcast
: change between the time of the Sun3 ('88) and my Ultra so much that the
: Ultra doesn't know what a Sun3 bootparam request loos like?

: Any help appreciated.

: Blah.

toomas soome
--
 Redistribution by Microsoft Network is prohibited.
 PGP public key: http://www.cs.ut.ee/~tsoome/pgp.txt

1. rpc.bootparamd problems

Hi,

I have some problems starting the bootparamd deamon. A similar error
(unable to receive) occurs when the portmap deamon is not running, but
in my case it is. Can this be caused by firewall rules or undefined port
numbers?

/usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd -d
Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Operation not
permitted unable to register (BOOTPARAMPROG, BOOTPARAMVERS, udp).

Radko

--
R.G. Bankras
Calslaan 9-204

2. dumb cron question *lart as needed*

3. rpc.bootparamd problems on Linux

4. Red Hat 6.2 as nis server and an aix as client (help)

5. problems compiling rpc.bootparamd

6. booter 1.2.9 && 1.2.9a not booting mklinux with vm on

7. Xkernel Problems || WTD: Binaries for rpc.bootparamd

8. term. not opening correct dir

9. problems compiling rpc.bootparamd from xkernel package

10. rpc.bootparamd

11. rpc.bootparamd under Linux 2.0.18?