Austin OpenSolaris user group meeting Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Austin OpenSolaris user group meeting Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Post by Dave Marquard » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:56:56

The 2nd meeting of the Austin OpenSolaris User Group will be on
Tuesday April 25th, 6:30pm - 9:30pm-ish.

Where:
Sun offices
5300 Riata Park Court (off of Parmer)
Austin, TX 78727
Building 8

Unlike the last meeting, NDAs will NOT be required for entrance into
the building or meeting.

Agenda:
6:30 pm - Welcome/Intro
6:45 pm - 7:30 pm - Kernel Virtual Memory - Eric Lowe
7:30 pm - 7:45 pm - Austin User Group Governance
7:45 pm - 8:00 pm - Break
8:00 pm - 8:45 pm - BrandZ Internals - Eric Lowe
8:45 pm - 9:30 pm - Q&A and open discussions

More about Eric and virtual memory - Eric Lowe is a staff engineer in
the Solaris Kernel Development group at Sun Microsystems. Eric has
worked on virtual memory in Sun engineering for over five years,
participating in NUMA optimizations, large page support, and SPARC
platform-specific virtual memory handling improvements.  Eric is
currently co-lead/architect of the completely new Solaris virtual
memory system, codenamed "gemsbak".

More about BrandZ - BrandZ is a framework that extends the Solaris
Containers (Zones) infrastructure to create zones running non-native
operating environments. With BrandZ, you can run your unmodified Linux
applications in a Solaris Container taking advantage of the unique
features of Solaris 10 like DTrace.

Please pass on this invitation to anyone in the Austin area (or
beyond) that you think could benefit from attending this meeting. You
can also subscribe to the Austin OpenSolaris User Group mailing list

--
Dave Marquardt
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Austin OpenSolaris user group meeting Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Post by Dan Foste » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:24:12

Quote:

> Unlike the last meeting, NDAs will NOT be required for entrance into
> the building or meeting.

That's great, though I'm curious -- why would NDAs have ever been
required to attend an user group meeting of an open source project?

(Seems like a weird clash between the idea of 'open source' and
'non-disclosure'.

I see this has been remedied, which is great, but still curious about
the rationale behind it before.)

-Dan

1. 2nd OpenSolaris User Group meeting on Tuesday, May 31st

The 2nd OpenSolaris User Group meeting will be taking place on Tuesday,
May 31st. Everyone is welcome to attend, so please invite any of your
friends to join in on the event, there could even be free SWAG for
those that do attend.

Last month we had a great 1st meeting, and there was a good amount of
Sun engineers that showed up to support our community, as well as a
good amount of folks from the Solaris community. I thank all of you
that did show up and would like to see more folks show up this time and
I'm sending notice out with plenty of advanced notice as some of you
complained that I waited til the last day. My bad, so I'll try to be
better about letting folks know this month.

Darren Moffat will be talking about Security on Solaris 10, and will be
talking about the Role Based Access Control as well as discussing how
to harden up Solaris 10 from how it ships out of the box.

I realize that this month the meeting is the day after Memorial Day,
and wanted to get next Tuesday (May 24th) but it was booked already.

Please see my blog for details and please feel free to contact me if
you have any questions about the meeting in general.

http://blogs.sun.com/aland/

2. Linux & WIN 95

3. 2nd OpenSolaris User Group meeting on Tuesday, May 31st, tonight!

4. popclient: unpredictable mail-sending behavior

5. Austin OpenSolaris User Group meeting #1 TONIGHT Friday 10/21

6. Help with the DHCP Service Provider Layer new in Solaris 8 07/01 and 10/01?

8. Unable to open /dev/ptmx:

9. 3rd OpenSolaris User Group Meeting in Santa Clara, CA 7:30pm

10. Update: Chicago OpenSolaris User Group meeting Oct 20th

11. London OpenSolaris User Group Xmas Meeting (a.k.a. 19th Dec LOSUG)

12. 3rd OpenSolaris User Group Meeting in Santa Clara, CA on Tues., June 28th 7:30pm

13. Austin Texas AIX User Group Meeting