make problems w/2.7

Post by Terry Ferrares » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

When trying to compile any program, even the ones on the Sun freeware
site, I am able to run the configure scripts, but make consistently
gives me the error " language optional software package not installed."
According to one FAQ I found , the packages I need are SUNWbtool,
SUNWsprot, and SUNWtoo; all of which I have installed.
What are the "language optional software" programs which I am missing,
and which packages would they be in. (This is i386 Solaris 7)
This isn't for some esoteric software, only things like the bash
shell,xisp, etc...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
terry f

make problems w/2.7

Post by Steve Bellen » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>When trying to compile any program, even the ones on the Sun freeware
>site, I am able to run the configure scripts, but make consistently
>gives me the error " language optional software package not installed."
>According to one FAQ I found , the packages I need are SUNWbtool,
>SUNWsprot, and SUNWtoo; all of which I have installed.
>What are the "language optional software" programs which I am missing,
>and which packages would they be in. (This is i386 Solaris 7)
>This isn't for some esoteric software, only things like the bash
>shell,xisp, etc...
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>terry f

Your problem is cause by having /usr/ucb in your path. In /usr/ucb
there is a shell script called cc which is designed to do something
which you do not want to do.

The packages you installed include everything but the compiler. (You
have the headers, make, as, ar, ...)

There are 3 choices:
1. Download the binary packages you want from the web.
http://www.sunfreeware.com
2. Download gcc from the above and compile the packages
(perhaps including gcc) you want the source.
3. Buy a compiler. Sun's new compiler is on Early Access so you
can try it for free. (They gave me a 4 month license.)
--

make problems w/2.7

Post by James Macnico » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> When trying to compile any program, even the ones on the Sun freeware
> site, I am able to run the configure scripts, but make consistently
> gives me the error " language optional software package not installed."
> According to one FAQ I found , the packages I need are SUNWbtool,
> SUNWsprot, and SUNWtoo; all of which I have installed.
> What are the "language optional software" programs which I am missing,
> and which packages would they be in. (This is i386 Solaris 7)
> This isn't for some esoteric software, only things like the bash
> shell,xisp, etc...

        Solaris doesn't come with a C compiler.  The message you are
getting is the same as if you try to run "cc" from the command line.
You'll want to download a gcc binary before trying to compile
anything - try www.sunfreeware.com.  You can, of course, buy a compiler
from Sun but I doubt you will want to do that if you have the "free"
Solaris.

--
James Macnicol

make problems w/2.7

Post by Terry R Ferrares » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks.
No C compiler; no wonder I'm getting error messages :)

I haven't had the Solaris package long, and I guess, like all operating
systems, it has its little quirks. I have found it very easy to set-up and
configure, and the CDE is nice ( kind of reminds me of KDE ). I only wish
it had come with a little more documentation. I bought one book, "Solaris
System Administrator's Guide" by J. Winsor, but found it rather basic. If
anyone could recommend a book with a little more depth, especially in the
networking/ppp area, I would appreciate it.
Thanks again to those who replied.
terry f

1. openbsd 2.7 cdrom layout, making an openbsd cd

Does anybody know what the directory layout of the openbsd cdrom needs
to be in order for the installer program to work with it?  I want to
make an install cd by downloading the distribution from an ftp mirror so
I can install it on a computer without a network connection, but I'm not
sure what needs to be copied onto the cd.  Has anyone had any success
with this?

Thanks,
-Tom

2. solaris 2.8 stack trace

3. Updating 2.7 to 2.7-current - error: __warn_references in libcompat

4. Length of string in sh

5. NIS Installation problem on Solaris 2.7

6. server-status in apache 1.3.6

7. radius.3.6B.basic : compilation problem with Solaris 2.7

8. Trident 9750 3D AGP under Red Hat 5.2

9. memory problem with ptmalloc + POSIX threads on Solaris 2.8/2.7 (32bit)

10. ISP CHAP AUTHENTICATION PROBLEM solaris 2.7 x86

11. Solaris 2.7 sendmail.cf problem

12. Problem installing OBSD 2.7 from tape on MVME167

13. Problem with new () on Solaris 2.6/2.7