lost ttys

Post by LETHUI » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:11:01

New users can't login to one of my server . The cause is that freed ttys
are not re-used for  new connections. Some  users use Exceed.
Adding more ttys is a good way to solve this problem..

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

lost ttys

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 03:10:02

Quote:> New users can't login to one of my server . The cause is that freed ttys
> are not re-used for  new connections. Some  users use Exceed.
> Adding more ttys is a good way to solve this problem..

There isn't a question here.

If you're trying to release the pty's, look for processes.  If, for
example, /dev/pts/12 were in use from an old session, do this..

/usr/ucb/ps -t pts/12

That will report all processes associated with that pty.  Killing them
(or finding out why the're not dying automatically) should return the
port to use.

If you're interested in increasing the number ptys available to users,
see the Solaris FAQ.

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.41

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

lost ttys

Post by Chris Thomps » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 05:50:55

>> New users can't login to one of my server . The cause is that freed ttys
>> are not re-used for  new connections. Some  users use Exceed.
>> Adding more ttys is a good way to solve this problem..

>There isn't a question here.

>If you're trying to release the pty's, look for processes.  If, for
>example, /dev/pts/12 were in use from an old session, do this..

>/usr/ucb/ps -t pts/12

Gack! "/bin/ps -t pts/12" would have done just as well...

Quote:>That will report all processes associated with that pty.

It will report all processes with that pty as controlling terminal. It's
possible to have a pty open without it being the controlling terminal,
and this will also prevent the pty from being reused. To find such
processes. use

  /usr/sbin/fuser /dev/pts/12

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

lost ttys

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 06:50:57

>>/usr/ucb/ps -t pts/12
> Gack! "/bin/ps -t pts/12" would have done just as well...

Frick.  Why couldn't I find that when I looked at the man page the first
time?  I thought it was there, but in my haste to post, I reverted back
to my BSD days...

Quote:>>That will report all processes associated with that pty.
> It will report all processes with that pty as controlling terminal. It's
> possible to have a pty open without it being the controlling terminal,
> and this will also prevent the pty from being reused. To find such
> processes. use
>   /usr/sbin/fuser /dev/pts/12

Excellent idea.  Normally when dealing with 'stuck' ptys, I can find
them all with a ps, but the fuser command is more general.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

1. idle running of command which lost tty

I found many commands will idle running (and eat about
80% CPU time) when these commands originally should
run in a tty but lost tty now. I found these situation
many times and commands include tin and elvis.
Is it the bug of these commands ? or something wrong
in our system. Users lost tty connections can be
caused by many reasons, such as inadequately quit
of window, disconnection of network suddently,...
And if connections were closed, these commands should
received SIGHUP signal and quit. But they don't quit
and instead idle running in the background.
I doubt these commands use nonblocking read or
select calls to detect input, and not handle SIGHUP
cleanly. When there are no tty to be read, what will
be happened ? just idle running ?

--
Shih-Kun Huang                  |  Huang2 Shih4-Kun1

2. Can someone direct me to an overview of shared libraries?

3. Lost tty session

4. kdn

5. Linux 2.0.xx shutdown: lost tty output / hangs

6. run metadb against previously configured state database slices

7. LOST LOST LOST

8. Postgres/RH 6

9. losing /dev/tty ANSWERED

10. tty hog - characters lost ?

11. Losing /dev/tty in a process

12. How to map a tty port to another tty port

13. creating tty's, mknod, stuck after boot with wrong tty - help