Entries in inetd.conf force inetd to start processes even when the corresponding protocol is not used?

Entries in inetd.conf force inetd to start processes even when the corresponding protocol is not used?

Post by arab » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:51:19

My understanding of inetd and inetd.conf is that the entries in
inetd.conf tell inetd what processes to start when it receives
connection requests on the corresponding ports.

Now a collegue of mine tells me that as soon as inetd is started it
spawns a number of processes simply because corresponding entries are
in inetd.conf.

The entries are like the following:
myApp       stream  tcp     nowait  myusr     /mypath/myApp   myapp
<myargs>

Is that possible?
What is it that I don't understand about how inetd uses inetd.conf?

Thanks,
--Ulf

Post by Neil W Ricker » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 07:27:18

>My understanding of inetd and inetd.conf is that the entries in
>inetd.conf tell inetd what processes to start when it receives
>connection requests on the corresponding ports.

Approximately correct.

Quote:>Now a collegue of mine tells me that as soon as inetd is started it
>spawns a number of processes simply because corresponding entries are
>in inetd.conf.

Your colleague is confused.

For some udp services, there might be enough broadcast packets
floating around that the service starts up instantly.  This could
give the illusion that the are started "simply because corresponding
entries are in inetd.conf."

1. troubles with inetd / inetd.conf

I use Solaris 7 on a sun sparc E450.

[ just in case : I don't have any DNS problem]

There is only one "useful" line in /etc/inetd.conf :

And when I try to connect by ftp, I only have :

Connected to localhost.

... and nothing else
When I enable another service (telnetd, netstat or even echo) and
sighup inetd, both services are available.

I have tried to enable only netstat or only echo, but it just hangs
(of course with netstat AND echo in inetd.conf, it works).

Does something go wrong with inetd and a "just one line" inetd.conf,
or am I too tired and it's time for me to go on holidays ?

Fabrice

2. Heya, I think you'll find this post funny :)

3. Restart inetd or reboot without using console...when inetd is dead

4. Dial UP Server

5. inetd.conf entry for sshd2 ?

6. ALT+Mouse1 not working in kde 2.2.2

7. auth entry in inetd.conf

8. packets with source ip 0.0.0.0

9. Wanted: inetd.conf sunrpc entry

10. What daemons started in inetd.conf ? Any command ?

11. /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/xinetd.conf

12. Starting ircd from inetd.conf

13. Can/How to start Tomcat in /etc/inetd.conf?