ODS trashed? do this:

Post by Jay Sco » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 08:13:02

Someone was asking what would happen to Online Disksuite if the
controllers changed.

I've had ODS get thoroughly trashed.  My controllers didn't change,
but I'm sure changing the controllers will do the same thing.
(James Heid was asking, but I can't email him for some reason...
problem at my end.)

Once ODS is trashed, you cannot boot.  You'll have to turn off the
ODS software, and to do that you must:
1.  delete the "do not edit" lines off the bottom of /etc/system
that pertain to ODS.
2.  edit /etc/vfstab so as not to mount any of the ODS disks.
(you might be able to leave them and still boot, but I've
never tried that, and don't recommend.  it'll surely error,
but it might not croak on the errors.)
3.  rename the directory containing the ODS binaries.  on my
machine, the current name is /etc/opt/SUNWmd -- your mileage
may vary.

1 and 3 are essential.  And I'll assume you know how to boot
off cdrom and accomplish the above three steps.  2 may or
may not be absolutely necessary, as noted.  Now you need to
boot.  of course, depending on what else has gone on, you may
have to do some more work on /etc/vfstab beyond disabling
ODS disks -- exercise for the reader.

Ok, now you're up.  How to get the ODS stuff back?

1.  In my case, and if you've only done something simple like
change the controller numbers, the ODS disks themselves are
probably fine.  So, doctor up the md.tab file to reflect
the new controller numbers.  (ahhh, you also want to rename
the ODS directory back to its old name first.  sorry.)

2.  Do the ODS "make database" command.
metadb -a -f #devicelist#
And i think you'd better do this exactly the way you did it when
you set it up.  ie, the devicelist should be the same both times.
the order within it doesn't matter, i don't think, but i wouldn't
add or delete to the list.  and of course the controller numbers
are different.

3.  do the ODS inits.
metainit -n d#x#
metainit d#x#

4.  fsck the ODS disks -- it's the right thing to do.

5.  try mounting the ODS disks.

It worked for me.  I've come close to changing the
controller numbers, but it keeps getting cancelled.  I'm convinced
the above will work, but I've never truly done it.  and I always
have backups when it doesn't work.....

I ***HAVE*** rescued a trashed ODS setup with the above.
j.
--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553

Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
University of Texas at Austin

ODS trashed? do this:

Post by Charl » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 10:25:44

: 1 and 3 are essential.  And I'll assume you know how to boot
: off cdrom and accomplish the above three steps.

Or just boot single user.  This is what I've done when I lost a metadb
device, leaving me with two devices, so the damn thing would panic.

I was _REALLY_ disappointed on how ODS 3.0 behaived when I lost a metadb
device.  I know you should have more than 3, but still, the machine
shouldn't panic on boot just because you don't!!!

It should allow the rest of the system to come up, leaving the affected
partitions unmounted.

--
        Harnad describes the status of Usenet aptly:
                a communication medium with revolutionary intellectual

ODS trashed? do this:

Post by Ruth Miln » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 07:53:13

>I was _REALLY_ disappointed on how ODS 3.0 behaived when I lost a metadb
>device.  I know you should have more than 3, but still, the machine
>shouldn't panic on boot just because you don't!!!

>It should allow the rest of the system to come up, leaving the affected
>partitions unmounted.

I agree that it shouldn't panic during boot, but I definitely do not agree
that it should allow the rest of the system to come up. It should stay in
single-user mode, just as it would if ufs filesystems were missing.

In this situation, there is no way to tell what else will be affected by
the missing area (home directories, applications, daemons that can't run,
databases incomplete, etc. etc. etc.). It is extremely dangerous to
blithely continue and attempt normal operation when things aren't normal.

If you, as the system administrator, know what the system can't - that the
missing filesystems aren't critical to the rest of system operations - then
use single-user mode to comment out whatever is necessary to prevent the
system looking for the affected area, and reboot without it.
--
Ruth Milner                            NRAO                  Socorro NM

1. od . ; od -cb .

I would expect the od -cb . command to show the bytes in a directory.
Linux does not do this.  Does anyone know what is going on here.  I was
going through the excellent K & P Unix Programming Environment book, and
the Linux behavior is very different here than the illustration in the
book.

2. tty locked ???

3. How do I intsall SCO OD 3.0, DOS/WIN, Another UNIX on 2 HDD's

4. HELP: Netscape 3.01 GOLD crashes when loading applets

5. PLEASE HELP: LILO trashed keeps trashing my mbr

6. Thanks. & other stuff

7. Need help: fdisk / 1+G scsi HD / dos trashes adjacent partition

8. Netscape Setup

9. HELP: Linux partition trashed by DOS virus!

10. Dos SCSI D: disk trash by Linux !!!!!

11. DOS FDISK trashed my partition table, can I save my Linux on /dev/hda3

12. OS2/Dos trashes Linux partitions

13. Help: Accidentally trashed dos partition as root