Solaris 2.5.1 swap exhausted, but lots of ram left!

Solaris 2.5.1 swap exhausted, but lots of ram left!

Post by Larry Williamso » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Our development server is an E3000 with 2.5gig of ram.  We have a
small swap partition though, maybe about 500Meg.

After a few weeks of running, the swap space slowly fills up.  No big
deal since there is really more ram than we need most of the time.

But every now and again, we have failures while trying link our
applications.  It is always the same - msync errors.  I forget the
exact syntax of the error message.

When this happens, /tmp has lots of free space, nearly 2 gig.  But the
physical swap partition is always nearly full.  There is little in
/tmp, maybe a few dozen or a couple of hundred meg.  But as I say,
lots of free space.

To get around this, I have to remove the swap drive and then add it
back in...

swap -d /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1
swap -a /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1

I have tried to leave the swap space unmapped, but then the link
always fails.

Is this an example of some code that requires physical swap space on a
swap partition to do its work?

-Larry

Solaris 2.5.1 swap exhausted, but lots of ram left!

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>But every now and again, we have failures while trying link our
>applications.  It is always the same - msync errors.  I forget the
>exact syntax of the error message.

This is a bug in tmpfs; when there's no backing store for /tmp anymore,
msync on /tmp fails.  Do you link in /tmp?

Quote:>When this happens, /tmp has lots of free space, nearly 2 gig.  But the
>physical swap partition is always nearly full.  There is little in
>/tmp, maybe a few dozen or a couple of hundred meg.  But as I say,
>lots of free space.

Yeah, it's a common symptom of running low on physical swap.

Quote:>I have tried to leave the swap space unmapped, but then the link
>always fails.

have you tried linking outside /tmp?

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.