Install solaris and win95

Post by brian knig » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have upgraded my windows to win95 on a 486DX 100 using Solaris X86
2.4.  Once I did that I lost my master boot record that lets me choose
to boot Solaris or dos.  I tried to reinstall Solaris so it could
rewrite the master boot record and give me the choice whice OS to boot
but that did not work. My computer will boot to win95 every time.  Is
there a way to make a boot disk for solaris or how can I rewrite my
master boot record to boot win95 or solaris.

Thank you for the help.

Brian

Install solaris and win95

Post by Richard To » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have upgraded my windows to win95 on a 486DX 100 using Solaris X86
>2.4.  Once I did that I lost my master boot record that lets me choose
>to boot Solaris or dos.  I tried to reinstall Solaris so it could
>rewrite the master boot record and give me the choice whice OS to boot
>but that did not work. My computer will boot to win95 every time.  Is
>there a way to make a boot disk for solaris or how can I rewrite my
>master boot record to boot win95 or solaris.

Whoa! Don't reinstall Solaris!

Just boot to dos, go into fdisk, and set your Solaris partition
active.  You'll get the familiar Solaris screen back (unless your
attempt to reinstall solaris killed the partition records that were
there.

Richard Tong