2.6 x86 Serial Port/Modem Installation Problem

2.6 x86 Serial Port/Modem Installation Problem

Post by Scott Koehle » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a SupraMax 56k PCI modem that I am trying to get to work in my
Solaris box.  The Device Configuration Assistant sees a Serial Controller on
the PCI bus, but a COM port is not assigned to it.

I have tried the new asy.conf from Celeste's Serial Port Tutorial to no
avail.

Has anyone else had any success in getting a PCI modem to work in Solaris
2.6 x86?

--
Be seeing you.

Scott

2.6 x86 Serial Port/Modem Installation Problem

Post by John F Ca » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I also want to know about PCI modem support.  Some of the modems are
advertised as "windows compatible", and a woman in a computer store told me
they were not even compatible with Windows NT.  If they don't work on NT, I
think they are probably very nonstandard (possibly like HP's Windows-only
printers they have some sort of reduced-cost design depending on driver
software for basic functionality).

Some things to try to get it to work:  add a line to /etc/driver_aliases
mapping the PCI device ID to the asy driver; edit asy.conf to add a new
instance (I'm not sure how one would do this for a PCI card, which doesn't
have a fixed address).