CAP, SunOS 4.1.x and printing to QMS 815

CAP, SunOS 4.1.x and printing to QMS 815

Post by Terry Dunc » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I know this is a Solaris group, but I also know a lot of people who
read this, also have extensive SunOS and CAP experience...

I've been working for the past two weeks trying to get cap60.pl100
(patched to 198) to print to my SunOS 4.1.x system with no luck.
I get a banner page but no output.  Does anyone have any tips they
could share?  I'm about to go for three points with the Mac.

I'm trying to print to a QMS 815 printer (which also has an appletalk
connector, but we use it primarily on the Sun).  The printer can print
both postscript and text fine.  The Mac is running 7.1

I'm pretty sure its a filter problem, but using the papif and papof
hangs the printer.  I captured the output and ran it under ghostscript
and got Error: /undefined in md, so I put the -N flag when calling lwsrv
and that helped, but now it gives something like Command F not valid
(Don't have the postscript file anymore and the macs in another
building right now)

Also, using a commercial package on another system (Ushare), the
document prints fine to the same printer (from mac).  What am I missing here?

My /etc/printcap entry:

lp|sonix|(QMS 815 MR):\
        :lp=/dev/ttya:\
        :br#19200:\
        :ms=onlcr,ixon,decctlq:\
        :fc#0000374:\
        :fs#0000003:\
        :xc#0:\
        :xs#0040040:\
        :lf=/var/adm/lpd-errs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/printer/sonix:\
        :rw:\
        :sb:\
        :if=/local/usr/lib/ps/psif:\
        :of=/local/usr/lib/ps/psof:\
        :gf=/local/usr/lib/ps/psgf:\
        :nf=/local/usr/lib/ps/psnf:\
        :tf=/local/usr/lib/ps/pstf:\
        :rf=/local/usr/lib/ps/psrf:\
        :vf=/local/usr/lib/ps/psvf:\
        :cf=/local/usr/lib/ps/pscf:\
        :df=/local/usr/lib/ps/psdf:\
        :mx#0:

My start-cap-servers line for the printer is:
LWARGS="-e -a ${LIB}/procsets -f ${LIB}/LWPlusFonts -N"
${CAP}/lwsrv -n "sonix" -p sonix ${LWARGS}

I've tried it without the -N, without the -e, nearly every combo you
can thing of.  Again, spooling works, only a header page printed.

My cap.printers is:

-Terry-

1. SunOS 4.1 / 4.1.1 / 4.1.1U_1 /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd doesn't work.

We have a problem.

We run NIS on our public-access system.  (This in itself is not quite
the problem.  B^>)

We run a network of Sun 3s with 4.1.1 and 4.1.1U_1.

We can't get passwd to work correctly to change the NIS password (ie
setting a non-local password).

Tracing yppasswdd to see what's happening, with the 4.1.1U_1 version
the program opens the passwd file twice when the second time it should
have opened the adjunct file, so it thinks the quoted old password is
bad and refuses to store the new one.

Tracing the 4.1.1 version (and I've even tried the 4.1 version),
yppasswdd gets a SIGSEGV a little after creating the adjunct ptmp file,
so it doesn't get to create the new entry and subsequent attempts to
set passwords inform us that the password file is `busy' (the .ptmp
file is there albeit size zero).

Can we fix this?

Damon

2. gnome-libs-1.0.8 compile error under Slackware

3. SunOS 4.1.x libraries on Solaris 2.x (sunos 5.x)

4. Hard drives, cables, controllers: Cable Select, vs other ??

5. Using sunos 4.1.x libs on sunos 5.x

6. Full-duplex 100 MBit ethernet card ?

7. Detect between SunOS 4.1.x and SunOS 5.x

8. ATI Xpert 128 *PCI* and xwin

9. Porting from SunOS (4.1) to Solaris (SunOS 5.5.1)

10. SunOS 4.1 vs SunOS 5.2

11. Differences between SunOS 4.1 and SunOs 5.1 STREAMS implementations

12. Printing to a print server - RH 4.1

13. problem printing 2.5 --> 4.1.3u print server