Add user problem

Post by Emmanuel Ponett » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:43:12

Hi,

I just finished installing the Solaris 8 (free) on an old PC. Perfect.
But I'd like to add some users. I tried with the Solaris Managment tool
and I've got this message as soon as I try to open the User tool:
"The managment server cannot perform the operation requested. Verify
that the server <which server? the managment server or the PC?> is
running. If it is running, try stopping and restarting it <I rebooted
the PC>

If the problem persists, ... call SUN

The actual error reported was: The mangment domain file:/ebrref/ebrref
does not exist or cannot be managed on server ebrref"

ebrref is the name of my machine.

Well, what does that mean? What can I do to make this disappear and be
able to add some users?

Thanks

Manu

Add user problem

Post by E » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:03:07

*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

Quote:> Hi,

> I just finished installing the Solaris 8 (free) on an old PC. Perfect.
> But I'd like to add some users. I tried with the Solaris Managment tool
> and I've got this message as soon as I try to open the User tool:
> "The managment server cannot perform the operation requested. Verify
> that the server <which server? the managment server or the PC?> is
> running. If it is running, try stopping and restarting it <I rebooted
> the PC>

> If the problem persists, ... call SUN

> The actual error reported was: The mangment domain file:/ebrref/ebrref
> does not exist or cannot be managed on server ebrref"

> ebrref is the name of my machine.

> Well, what does that mean? What can I do to make this disappear and be
> able to add some users?

> Thanks

> Manu

Login as root and use the command "useradd" to add users.  For
instructions, see the man pages.

-----==  Over 90,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Add user problem

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:11:00

Quote:>I just finished installing the Solaris 8 (free) on an old PC. Perfect.
>But I'd like to add some users. I tried with the Solaris Managment tool

Try using "useradd".  "man useradd" for more info.

If you really feel like using something a GUI, you could try
admintool, although I recommend you don't.

  - Logan
--
"Everybody
 Loves to see

1. Sysadmsh Adding User Problem!

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I am using SCO 3.2v4.2.  When trying to add new users in the sysadmsh,
after selecting modify default and adding all the account information, I
should normally be asked if I want to review the changes, accept, or
cancel (something like that).  Well now when I say accept to add the new
user, I get the following error message:

An error occured when creating use: jessicaj

Cannot update subsystem authorization file(s)

Please choose one of : Correct   Retry   Abort

When I choose to retry then all works fine, but I am concerned with the
error message.  It has started appearing recently (last month or so).

Any ideas???

Jeromie Golab

2. Quesion about PCMCIA sound

3. Add user problem

4. PPC: compile failure in 2.4.21-pre1 ide

5. nis+ add user problem

6. solaris Admin wanted

7. adding users problem

8. LILO or NT boot loader ??

9. Adding users problem

10. adding users problem

11. Add user that can add users?

12. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

13. Q: Howto: 1) Add/Del user, 2) Alias user address?