/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by franci.. » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

I have some settings I need all users to have.
I read the comments in .dtprofile and removed the comment from the
"DTSOURCEPFROFILE=true" line. The comments in .dtprofile mention ~/.profile
and ~/.login, but don't mention anything about "/etc/profile".

I am using the Korn shell.

Moreover, where does CDE set's the path? I have added some packages using
pkgadd and now the path is correctin CDE, but not when I boot to the command
line.

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Mon, 12 May 1997 04:00:00

>I have some settings I need all users to have.
>I read the comments in .dtprofile and removed the comment from the
>"DTSOURCEPFROFILE=true" line. The comments in .dtprofile mention ~/.profile
>and ~/.login, but don't mention anything about "/etc/profile".

Indeed, DTSOURCEPROFILE=true only makes t read .profile (check Xsession).

Quote:>I am using the Korn shell.
>Moreover, where does CDE set's the path? I have added some packages using
>pkgadd and now the path is correctin CDE, but not when I boot to the command
>line.

Most of the CDE startup procedures are scripts; read them.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by Francisco Rey » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Engineer) writes:

:>Indeed, DTSOURCEPROFILE=true only makes t read .profile (check Xsession).

Thanks for the answer. I do hope there is a CENTRAL place where CDE
will read configuration for ALL users.

:>Most of the CDE startup procedures are scripts; read them.

Will do (if I can find them <G>)

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by Christian Kuehnk » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

> :>Indeed, DTSOURCEPROFILE=true only makes t read .profile (check Xsession).

> Thanks for the answer. I do hope there is a CENTRAL place where CDE
> will read configuration for ALL users.

mkdir -p               /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d
ln    -s  /etc/profile /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/0005.profile
chmod 755 /etc/profile

Should point you in the right direction.
--

(...) So DEC's strategy now is to get in bed  |Tel.: +49 441 798 2978 (work)
with Microsoft and sell NT machines to chimpanzees. (...) [Joe Kane]

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by Bob Es » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

>Engineer) writes:

>:>Indeed, DTSOURCEPROFILE=true only makes t read .profile (check Xsession).

>Thanks for the answer. I do hope there is a CENTRAL place where CDE
>will read configuration for ALL users.

>:>Most of the CDE startup procedures are scripts; read them.

>Will do (if I can find them <G>)

Depends on the type of configuration you want read. What I have done with
both VUE and CDE is to have the user's dtwmrc (.vuewmrc) do an include of
a server-side file and make softlinks for other configuration directories
I wanted to make global changes to.

Hope this helps.

                                   -- * --

   Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator            pager: 888-912-2635
   Fujitsu Network Communications            voice: 972-479-3229
                                   -- * --
              "Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul..."

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by srln.. » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

>Engineer) writes:

>:>Indeed, DTSOURCEPROFILE=true only makes t read .profile (check Xsession).

>Thanks for the answer. I do hope there is a CENTRAL place where CDE
>will read configuration for ALL users.

Yes there is, but in the fullness of time you will be disappointed to learn
that in the Solaris world there is no one central place where login setup
can be configured for all users and for all types of logins.  That is, what
works for CDE/xdm doesn't work for telnet/rlogin etc. In this respect, Unix
is very poor.  For complete universality, you end up having to call (source)
standard files from each users login files (.cshrc, .profile, etc). The
Solaris 2.5 System Administration manual even warns you that /etc/.login
and so on are *not* used by all logins!!

--
Roger Williams, Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences, New Zealand

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by franci.. » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

>Yes there is, but in the fullness of time you will be disappointed to learn
>that in the Solaris world there is no one central place where login setup
>can be configured for all users and for all types of logins.  That is, what
>works for CDE/xdm doesn't work for telnet/rlogin etc. In this respect, Unix
>is very poor.  For complete universality, you end up having to call (source)
>standard files from each users login files (.cshrc, .profile, etc).

How about creating links? Someone suggested linking /etc/profile to
/etc/dt/config/Xsessions.d/0005.profile. This may not be a total solution, but
at least in my case it accomplish what I need.

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by franci.. » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

>Depends on the type of configuration you want read. What I have done with
>both VUE and CDE is to have the user's dtwmrc (.vuewmrc) do an include of
>a server-side file and make softlinks for other configuration directories
>I wanted to make global changes to.

I think I am going to go with what someone suggested. Making a link to
/etc/profile.

/etc/profile not read by CDE?

Post by Ed Rav » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>mkdir -p               /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d
>ln    -s  /etc/profile /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/0005.profile
>chmod 755 /etc/profile

>Should point you in the right direction.

But this doesn't automatically force every xterm or dtterm to be a login
shell: that's the most effective way to fix the problem, since the users's
shells will work the same as when they telnet or rlogin from another
machine.

To get xterm and dtterm to be login shells, my preferred method was to
copy the resource files from /usr/dt to /etc/dt, and add dtterm*loginShell
and xterm*loginShell into the default resources.  I don't remember the
exact details, but I posted them on comp.unix.aix six months or so ago.

Followups to comp.unix.cde

--
Ed Ravin        |If I were not a little mad and generally silly