Netscape Mail Client

Post by uda » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 04:43:07

Hi,

I use netscape browser on Solaris 7 CDE. It works fine. But when I try
to open up the netscape mail client from the browser, all the netscape
windows are killed.
They just vanish.
This is happening for last one week only. Before that it used to work
fine.
No changes were made to the system.

Anybody has any ideas what could be going on. I even upgraded my
netscape browser but the same behaviour.

Any suggestions to solve this are very welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

UB

Netscape Mail Client

Post by m.. » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 09:46:21

>Hi,

>I use netscape browser on Solaris 7 CDE. It works fine. But when I try
>to open up the netscape mail client from the browser, all the netscape
>windows are killed.
>They just vanish.
>This is happening for last one week only. Before that it used to work
>fine.
>No changes were made to the system.

>Anybody has any ideas what could be going on.

A colleague of mine recently had a problem similiar to what you describe
except that Netscape kept bombing out without launching at all.
preferences.js must have become hosed because renaming that and having a
fresh copy created took care of it following much trial and error.

Netscape Mail Client

Post by Martin Meser » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:46:21

> Hi,

> I use netscape browser on Solaris 7 CDE. It works fine. But when I try
> to open up the netscape mail client from the browser, all the netscape
> windows are killed.
> They just vanish.
> This is happening for last one week only. Before that it used to work
> fine.
> No changes were made to the system.

> Anybody has any ideas what could be going on. I even upgraded my
> netscape browser but the same behaviour.

> Any suggestions to solve this are very welcome.

> Thanks in Advance.

> UB

UB,

I read your post the other day but didn't have an answer. But then
just this morning a user came to me with the exact same problem.

I initially thought that there was something wrong with his ".netscape"
directory however, when I swapped it out, the same error occurred. He
could run the Netscape browser but when he switched to the Mail window,
Netscape would abort.

I also thought it might be a version problem. The Netscape he was using
was Netscape 4.6 but I hade 4.78 on the system. I tried it but got the
same problem.

It turned out that one of his mail folders, in "~nsmail", was bad.
I renamed the folder to "~nsmail_ori" and let Netscape re-create
"~nsmail". Then I copied in his old InBox. After that Netscape
Mail worked just fine. I even swapped everything back to original, to
make sure it was the problem, and it was. I left it up to the uer to go
through his folders and trash the ones he doesn't want any more.

If he copies a mail folder from "~nsmail_ori" over to "~nsmail",
and Netscape crashes again, he'll know which one is giving him the
problem.

--
Martin E. Meserve, K7MEM

I respond to news groups and E-Mail on my own time  and  therefore
my responses may not be as timely as you, or I, would like them to
be. If I seem to be ignoring you, send me another E-Mail to jog my
memory.  Opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my
employer.

1. Getting IMAP-4 to work (Pine imapd and Netscape Mail client)

 We have been using Imap-4 for some time now and it works fine. Does this
user wayne have an account on the imap server? Are you typeing in the
proper password?

--
Jose Santiago

Systems Analyst - Scientific Systems
Komatsu Mining Systems - Peoria Operations
2300 N.E. Adams Street
P.O. Box 240
Peoria, IL 61650-0240

Voice:309-672-7325  Fax:309-672-7753

2. Where In Toronto?

3. Gigabit speeds..

4. IMAP Mail Client Besides Netscape

5. system upgrade-kernel recompile woes

6. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

7. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (7/7) [Frequent posting]

8. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

9. decent pop mail client othern than netscape...

10. What client mail protocol leaves mail on server

11. What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

12. mail client can access HTTP mail server