Odd link/load question, SunOS 4.1.1

Post by Jeff Deif » Thu, 13 May 1993 07:47:10

How can I assure that one particular C-file among many gets loaded
"first", that is, so as to reside lowest in virtual memory?
That special file holds one array, and we want to be able to point
into that array with only 24-bit addresses.  (We AND our 32-bit words
with a mask to get the 24-bit pointer.  The high-order byte is used
for something else).
On VMS systems, we've always been able to specify that a file be loaded
first.  Can we do the same on the Sun?
--

Phone:  (310) 822-1511 x241 work        (818) 347-3428 home

Uucp:   ...!{harvard,rutgers,uunet,sun,ucbvax,uiucdcs,talcott}!isi.edu!jdeifik

Post by Sinan Kara » Sat, 15 May 1993 11:53:51

>How can I assure that one particular C-file among many gets loaded
>"first", that is, so as to reside lowest in virtual memory?
>That special file holds one array, and we want to be able to point
>into that array with only 24-bit addresses.  (We AND our 32-bit words
>with a mask to get the 24-bit pointer.  The high-order byte is used
>for something else).
>On VMS systems, we've always been able to specify that a file be loaded
>first.  Can we do the same on the Sun?
>--

Easy to do in Solari2. Use Map File option.. Don't know in 4.1.1 tho'...

1. Dynamic Linking and Loading in an odd way

I understand dynamic linking and loading, but I need to do something
weird with it.

Basically I have a Library of functions that are dynamic, but I'm
looking for a way so that I can set up the system and create and
remove new libraries while the program is still running.

So I need a way to have the program use dynamic linking and loading,
and be able to link and load a library that may or may not have been
created yet.

Currently I'm using Linux, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Drathmar

2. shutdown notification, persistent connections and such alike

3. Odd error message on Sunos-4.1.3, Apache-1.2b4

4. PLIP Trouble

5. Question about Email when moving from SunOS 5 to SunOS 5

6. Network is unreachable

7. SOCKET PROGRAMMING (SunOS 4 vs SunOS 5) QUESTION...

8. problem with ModemBlaster 56k PCI modem

9. odd rsh behaviour on SunOS

10. Extreme odd sym53c8xx loading

11. Odd OpenSolaris extremely high load average bug

12. odd gcc link errors

13. Odd warnings when linking against my shared object