1. tip: "all ports busy"
Our eyes are bloodshot from reading manuals, internet faqs, and from
the clock waiting for Sun service to call back. So please hear now our
When we try to tip to /dev/cua/a, we get "all ports busy"
A ttymon process is somehow involved, if we disable the port monitor
or otherwise get rid of the ttymon processes, we can tip.
But we have to have ttymon on the port, it is a bi-directional modem
and we can't get into it from outside without ttymon running.
Things we've tried, from Sun support, Sun info docs, and Celeste's page:
1. "fuser -f /dev/cua/a" and "fuser -f /dev/term/a" list no processes
devices, nothing to kill or disable there.
2. No lock files are found in /var/spool/locks
3. Even a simple "tip -9600 /dev/cua/a" gives the same failure.
4. Permissions and ownership for the device files is good (uucp, 666).
5. Deleting and remaking the port monitor (zsmon), the service, and the
devices didn't help, even using Celeste's add_modem script.
Additional information: the problem is consistently repeatable on a
Tatung Ultra. On an Ultra 1, sometimes tip mysteriously works for
a while, even with the port monitor running. We're running Solaris
2.6, with a good patch level (6). The problem happens whether there
is a modem attached or not.
Truss of the tip process shows it can't open /dev/term/a, due to EBUSY.
I'd sure appreciate some help with this. Perhaps there is a way to come
in on the port without using the port monitor?
Thanks in advance,
S. K. Stevens
2. Getting RedHat 5.0 to Recognize Generic NIC
3. serial port not usable - "modem busy"
4. Please help with the sync daemon and mmap!!
5. how to kill "mt" or make "/dev/rmt/..." device NOT BUSY?
6. bootp messages in /var/adm/messages, disable?
7. tip just says "connected" -- or dials & busy signal at same time
8. tar broken in 2.2?
9. Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error
10. problem seting up modem SupraExpress 56iPro: "Sorry, the modem is busy"
11. Can't see modem/"modem busy" error
12. Why would I get "MODEM BUSY" on an internal laptop modem
13. PCMCIA modem: "Sorry, the modem is busy."