HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by david.vi.. » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

#/usr/ucb/cc
/usr/ucb/cc:    language optional software package not installed.

I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
binary.

Thanks to all

David

Post by email.. » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

>#/usr/ucb/cc
>/usr/ucb/cc:        language optional software package not installed.

cc not come with solaris anymore.. you got to get gcc or buy c
complier from sun or other... if you have problem install gcc.. i
think pkg version is in sun freeware homepage (x86 list) also gzip
come in pkg version too.. thanx to (err sorry i forget his name) who
complie and make it pkg ...

good luck

Post by Logan Sh » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

>#/usr/ucb/cc
>/usr/ucb/cc:        language optional software package not installed.

>I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
>full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
>installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
>compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
>binary.

If you didn't pay Sun extra money over and above the cost of the
operating system for their compiler, /usr/ucb/cc is never going to
work.

Besides which, using /usr/ucb/cc (when it does work) on a Solaris 2.x
system is just asking for trouble in my opinion, although perhaps it's
not as troublesome as using "ucbcc".

My advice is to go get the GNU compiler.  You can get a precompiled
binary from somewhere (anyone want to volunteer a site?), and then
use that precompiled binary to build your own after you get the
latest sources by from prep.ai.mit.edu.

That's what I did (I actually used some non-standard gcc that somebody
had hacked up for better performance on x86 systems, because it was the
only precompiled binary I could find at the time!), and it worked just
fine.

Another piece of free advice:  don't get the GNU linker.  You don't
need it, and /usr/ccs/bin/ld works fine.

Yet another piece of free (this time unrelated and gratuitous[1])
advice:  if you're just installing the system, then remember to go to
http://sunsolve.sun.com and find the cluster of recommended patches for
your system, then download and install that cluster.

  - Logan

[1]  Can it really be both free and gratuitous?  I suppose in
connotation it can, but I'm not so sure about denotation.

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by david.vi.. » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I would like to thank all for their mail responses.The problem with
downloading gcc is it comes gzipped, and I need a compiler to make
gzip.

The fact that I am fairly new to UNIX makes this a bit more difficult,
and Solaris does not seem to be a friendly as Digital UNIX 4.

Well, I found a 2.5.1 gzip package with executables that work, but the
package didn't want to install properly, but since the SPARC package
installed properly, I just copied the x86 binaries over the SPARC,
copied the man pages to /usr/shared/man/man1, and ran catman 1.

Then I created a link (gzip) in /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin/gzip.

It seems to be a pain in the ass way of getting gzip to work, but it
works now.  Now I can get a compiler (there is another message
pointing to a precompiled 2.5.1 that will work enough to build gcc for
2.6.

I hope that I am going about this the right way.

Thanks again,
David

>When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

>#/usr/ucb/cc
>/usr/ucb/cc:        language optional software package not installed.

>I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
>full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
>installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
>compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
>binary.

>Thanks to all

>David

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by david.vi.. » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am having a problem install a pgcc binary from
http://www.goof.com/pcg/.  Here are the results of my frustration:

# pkgadd -d `pwd` GNUpgcc
pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </usr/dviray/GNUpgcc>
# pwd
/usr/dviray/GNUpgcc
# ls
install  pkginfo  pkgmap   reloc
# ls -l
total 58
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin          512 Dec 12 16:27 install
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          228 Dec 12 16:27 pkginfo
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        26053 Dec 12 16:27 pkgmap
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin          512 Dec 12 16:27 reloc
#

I was able to get it to install with admintool, but I would like to
know where I went wrong with the command line approach as that is
favored over GUI.

Thanks,
David

>When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

>#/usr/ucb/cc
>/usr/ucb/cc:        language optional software package not installed.

>I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
>full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
>installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
>compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
>binary.

>Thanks to all

>David

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I am having a problem install a pgcc binary from
>http://www.goof.com/pcg/.  Here are the results of my frustration:
># pkgadd -d `pwd` GNUpgcc
>pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </usr/dviray/GNUpgcc>
># pwd
>/usr/dviray/GNUpgcc
># ls

Wrong directory.

Try:

        pkgadd -d /usr/dviray GNUpgcc

Casper

be fiction rather than truth.

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by david.vi.. » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have downloaded gcc-2.7.2.3.  It will not build.  It attempts to use
cc, which I know now is not distributed with Solaris.  How can I
modify so that is uses an older gcc which I did get installed (2.5.1
binary package).

Thanks,
David

>When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

>#/usr/ucb/cc
>/usr/ucb/cc:        language optional software package not installed.

>I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
>full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
>installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
>compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
>binary.

>Thanks to all

>David

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by Marius Stro » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

David,
Try the following steps:
# cd /usr/dviray
# pkgadd -d ./

It should ask you what packages to install.  pkgadd looks in subdirectories
for the pkginfo file, so going into the package directory won't work.

Network Administrator, Twister Communications
http://www.twistercom.com

>I am having a problem install a pgcc binary from
>http://www.goof.com/pcg/.  Here are the results of my frustration:

># pkgadd -d `pwd` GNUpgcc
>pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </usr/dviray/GNUpgcc>
># pwd
>/usr/dviray/GNUpgcc
># ls
>install  pkginfo  pkgmap   reloc
># ls -l
>total 58
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin          512 Dec 12 16:27 install
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          228 Dec 12 16:27 pkginfo
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        26053 Dec 12 16:27 pkgmap
>drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin          512 Dec 12 16:27 reloc
>#

>I was able to get it to install with admintool, but I would like to
>know where I went wrong with the command line approach as that is
>favored over GUI.

>Thanks,
>David

>>When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

>>#/usr/ucb/cc
>>/usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed.

>>I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
>>full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
>>installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
>>compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
>>binary.

>>Thanks to all

>>David

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by G.B.N » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi ,

I've nearly forgot :

also gzip U can get in the same manner as package .

HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

Post by G.B.N » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi ,

U have to get package-based copy of gcc , that U just add through
pkgadd , it's available at :

http://smc.vnet.net/solaris_2.5_x86.html

there are mirrors of this staff .

GoodLuck.

1. HELP -- Sol 2.6 x86 -- How do I add extra serial ports

I need to have sol recognize my internal modem on COM4.  Admintool is
useless (add feature is greyed out).  Do I need to concentrate my efforts
on pmadm to get this peripherial added?  Any help apreciated. TIA

Helpless x86 user.

2. Modelines for a Nokia 447E

3. desperately need help installing sol 2.6 x86

4. KDE & debian 2

5. Problems with exception handling w/ CC 4.2 on Sol 2.6

6. LINUX FT and NIS

7. cc compiler in solaris 2.6 x86 ?

8. mouse pointer won't move

9. No back-quote key on german keybord in Sol.2.6 x86?

10. sources sol x86 2.6

11. Copying Sol 2.6 x86 boot drive

12. dfs/dce client, sol x86 (2.5 or 2.6)

13. *.so.6.1 Libraries - Sol. 2.6 x86