solaris 2.5 with xdm and telnet-login failed

solaris 2.5 with xdm and telnet-login failed

Post by Rainer Brinkman » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

hello experts, 1 question

I activated the xdm under solaris2.5 ( in a separate script
/etc/rc2.d/S90xdmstart ) and all works fine.
Only when one tries to login via telnet from the outside, he gets
something like "login failed, shutdown in 30 sec". Does anyone know
about this behaviour and maybe, what did i do wrong, maybe starting the
xdm too early in the startup-scripts?

thank you for a reply
rainer brinkmann, university hospital Hamburg/Germany

Post by BRANDON WILLIAM HU » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: Only when one tries to login via telnet from the outside, he gets
: something like "login failed, shutdown in 30 sec". Does anyone know

Check the shutdown and nologin manpage... it looks like the system got
interrupted in the middle of shutting down.  Check for the existance of
/etc/nologin.

--
|   Brandon Hume aka "Hurricane" - hume at ug.cs.dal.ca & isisnet.com   |
|          "What was your username again?  *Clickity-click*"            |

1. Getting users to show up 'on console' with xdm logins under Solaris 2.5

I would like a user that logs into one of our workstations from the xdm
authentication widget to show up as on the console in the output from
w and finger, so the following were added to GiveConsole:

        sessreg -a -l console $USER </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1
        touch /dev/console

The problem is that this does not work consistently.  Has anyone else tried
to do this?  Have you been successful?  What needs to be donw to make this
work?

Thanks,
Dan Ehrlich

--
Dan Ehrlich - Systems Analyst - PSU Computer Science and Engineering
"Universities should be safe havens where ruthless examination of realities

2. Help with PPP Connection using RedHat 5.1

3. Solaris 2.5 /etc/.login not read when login from dt?

5. Changing login graphic (was Re: Changing the login banner on Solaris 2.5

6. Modem send strange chars after connect

7. XDM login problems in 2.5 and 2.5.1

8. DNS setup on SUN OS

9. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

10. Problem with xdm and NIS+ under Solaris 2.5

11. How do I set up xdm under Solaris 2.5?

12. XDM and multiple NIC's.. Solaris 2.5 ??

13. xdm fails under solaris 2 and works under solaris 1