prebuilt gcc/gpp for SunOS 4.x?

Post by Kevin Dwa » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:30:21

I would appreciate a pointer to this, if it's still available somewhere.
TIA.

Kevin,

Post by Volker Borcher » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:11:45

> I would appreciate a pointer to this, if it's still available somewhere.

2.95.2 should build out of the box.
Might take some time (48 hours on a 4/75, 100 hours on a 3/80), though.

--

prebuilt gcc/gpp for SunOS 4.x?

Post by BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD frea » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 02:20:25

>> I would appreciate a pointer to this, if it's still available somewhere.
> 2.95.2 should build out of the box.
> Might take some time (48 hours on a 4/75, 100 hours on a 3/80), though.

or, forever on a 4/110 vme crate.  If he is runing legacy hardware, he
might also run into memory and drive space constraints.  I find it useful
on legacy hardware to keep a gcc-2.5.8 handy.  It unrolls and builds in
90mb, installs in about 20mb, and runs well in 16mb ram.  In my hands it
builds about 80% of modern things, which is usually good enough on old
legacy hardware.

Bob

Post by Kevin Dwa » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:06:43

> > I would appreciate a pointer to this, if it's still available somewhere.

> 2.95.2 should build out of the box.
> Might take some time (48 hours on a 4/75, 100 hours on a 3/80), though.

> --

I see that at--

    http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/solaris/RPMS/GByName.html

there are prebuilt binaries for versions  as early as 2.95.3, which I guess
doesn't do us any good. What we're hoping to avoid is the long compile (maybe more
than once). Thanks for your  help.

prebuilt gcc/gpp for SunOS 4.x?

Post by Volker Borcher » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:12:23

Quote:>> 2.95.2 should build out of the box.
>> Might take some time (48 hours on a 4/75, 100 hours on a 3/80), though.
> or, forever on a 4/110 vme crate.

Which won't be that much slower than aforementioned 3/80. I have a 4/110
mainboard collecting dust on a shelf, maybe I'll give it a try sometime.
Then we'll know ;-)

Quote:> If he is runing legacy hardware, he might also run into memory

Acknowledged.

Quote:> and drive space constraints.

Use NFS. Compilation (of gcc itself, and using gcc afterwards) takes so
much CPU time on old boxes that the performance loss caused by NFS is
just about negligible.

Quote:> I find it useful on legacy hardware to keep a gcc-2.5.8 handy.

Fancy new-fangled stuff ;-) I remember porting X11R5 Xserver to an
OS-9/68000 box with 2 MB RAM and no swap at all (!) using gcc-1.42.
Had to use vendor `cc' for some files with large static initialized
arrays though, which were not handled well by gcc until much later.

Quote:> It unrolls and builds in 90mb, installs in about 20mb, and runs
> well in 16mb ram.

That is definitively a point. I might give it a try sometime as well.
BTW, do you know how I can convince gcc that SunOS-4.1.1_U1 on sun3x
_does_ have shared libraries and therefore gcc should support them?

--

1. IDE for gcc/gpp

Try XWPE . On sunsite it can be found somewhere in Editors as far as I
remember.
Under X it is great, although its interface to GNU debugger lacks some
features, which ought to be in Borland IDE remake
(evaluate and run to cursor)
It also is very annoying that it is not possible to send to gdb command,
which cannot be found in menus.

All other stuff is better then in Borland Pascal 7.0 and Borland C/C++ 3.1
IDE.

It also works on console, but it isn't 8-bit clean on it and cannot redirect
output of debugged program to another VC (which it does well in X, starting
special xterm for your program output)

It also doesn't support GPM, so you can use mouse only in X.

I use it half of ther year and only wish to find time for
browsing through sources and add missing features, mentioned above
(It seems to be simple enough, but I'm newbie in C, all the life
i wrote on Borland (formerly Turbo) Pascal).

Phone: 7(095)230-80-61                          Victor B. Wagner
Fax:   7(095)230-80-42                          Dokuchaev Soil Institute

--

2. Hostname vs DHCP/Apache/Samba

3. Ext2fs-tolerance?

4. Looking for (prebuilt) GCC

5. Multiple SSH connection within if loops

6. gcc 2.95.2 Prebuilt with shared libstdc++.so?

7. SCO 3.2v4.2 & MMX Machines.

8. Prebuild gcc/g++ 2.6.3 for Solaris

9. Makeing programs with gpp??

10. sbrk, malloc and gcc (2.6.0) in SunOS 4.1.3

11. Toronto Based Linux Prebuilt Systems Forsale

12. how do i tell what features the prebuilt redhat 6.2 kernel has included ?