Solaris 2.4 on 16MB SS1

Post by Steve Ho » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 02:08:39

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with Solaris 2.4
running on an SS1 with 16MB of memory?  Is 16MB enough,
or do we have to increase before upgrading to 2.X?

Solaris 2.4 on 16MB SS1

Post by Andrew E Pa » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 22:18:59

   I had recently asked a very similar question.  I had asked whether
or not 16M would be enough for a Sun Classic.  The answer came back
         NO.

 It will work, but it will be extremely SLOW.  You're better off
upgrading to 32Meg.

--
Andrew E. Page   (Warrior Poet) |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
Mac Consultant                  |     The difference between what we are

Solaris 2.4 on 16MB SS1

Post by Marc Rams » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 08:12:04

: Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with Solaris 2.4
: running on an SS1 with 16MB of memory?  Is 16MB enough,
: or do we have to increase before upgrading to 2.X?

I've been using 2.4 on a 1+ with 24MB, and it runs fine.  I haven't tried it,
but I tend to doubt 16 MB will be usable.  Going to 32MB might be overkill
unless you are running memory intensive applications.

1. Format Hard Drives?? <Solaris 2.4; SS1+>

The SS1+'s 2 hard drives (200MB) were replaced with 1GB and 500MB.
Memory RAM size were changed from 28MB to 52MB.

probe-scsi check was fine.

Computer screen went blank when the system was ready for Solaris'
installation process. Before the screen was dark, the message said
"Corrupt Label - Wrong Magic Number" for those hard drives.

I dont know what to begin with those hard drives whether to be formatted
or put magic number. I never had done these before.

Can anyone can help me with this? I administer many Solaris ws.

Thanks in advance!
Don
Summerville, South Carolina

2. xfig / ghostscript problem

3. SS1 and SS1+

4. explain memory model for linux

5. Sparc 1 16Mb/200Mb: will it run 2.4?

6. StarOffice 5.0 & S3V-Server

7. Wu-ftpd 2.4 under Solaris 2.4

8. Should I atempt this?

9. Solaris on SS1/IPC ?

10. Solaris 2.51 on SS1+

11. Can't boot Solaris on a SS1...

12. Solaris 9 box as bootp/tftpd server to install debian in SS1+

13. SS1+/Solaris 2.6 tech info wanted