libXm.so.3 what is it ?

Post by sakal.. » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 04:10:26

Hi ,

I would like to know what does this file libXm.so.3 is for if it is a
solaris 7 core file ?

Hassani youssouf

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

libXm.so.3 what is it ?

Post by ynots.. » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:42:27

> Hi ,
> I would like to know what does this file libXm.so.3 is for if it is a
> solaris 7 core file ?

Solaris is UNIX, which has evolved into a heavy partner with the Xwindow
system. Many applications which run upon UNIX utilize the Xwindow sytem
for user interface, such as CDE, mwm and OpenWindows.

There are many standard functions which are used by X utilities, and a
great deal of space is saved on the system by sharing these common
function calls in a dynamically linked library of functions, such as
libXm.so.3.

If these functions were compiled into each and every program that uses
them (statically linked), the redundancy would be incredible, causing
tremendous bloat of the OS.

There are some very basic items that are indeed statically linked, and
are found in the /sbin directory, such as root's shell. This helps to
ensure success in the event of system malfunction that prevents access
to the libraries.

-   tony

-

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:18:47

|I would like to know what does this file libXm.so.3 is for if it is a
|solaris 7 core file ?

It's the Motif 1.2 GUI toolkit library, used by many graphical
applications on Solaris, most notably Netscape.  (Any Motif application
built for versions of Solaris before 7 will use this library, as will
applications that haven't been updated to use the newer Motif
2.1/libXm.so.4 included in Solaris 7 and later.)

1. libXm.so.2 and libXm.so.0

After much time and effort ( and LOTS of help from this newsgroup) this
novice to Linux found the libraries mentioned above (libXm.so.1.2 here).
Perhaps I am wrong but these appear to be part of the X11 (XFree86 ?)
libraries. Well I thought that once I figured this out then everything
would be easy to fix. You see I want to try out LLNL-Xdir (ftp program)
which requires libXm.so.0 and Xacc (an accounting program) which require
libXm.so.2.0. I have a recent distribution (TurboLinux3.0) and I have
searched Sunsite and XFree86.org all to no avail.

Am I missing something here?

Once again I humbly ask for help from the collective intelligence ( ???)
of this newsgroup.

Regards,
Clif
Julie and Clif Caldwell               Sent from the beautiful
                                       Upstate of South Carolina
Sender of this note:

2. Binding/Sockets Problem

3. libXm.so.2 ? libXm.so.1.2 ??

4. Is this a fetchmail problem? or..

5. How to make lesstif libXm.so.0.81 acts as libXm.so.1.2

6. PPP, CD-ROMs, General Confusion, a too long tale

7. libXm.so.3 libXm.so.4

8. 2.0.36-1: Ether Express Pro grayed out

9. linking to libXm.so.1.2 instead of libXm.so.2.0

10. WHEREIS libXm.so.2 ?

11. Lesstif (mwm) can't load library 'libXm.so.0'

12. Mosaic: can't find library 'libXm.so.1'

13. ld.so.1: ... libXm.so.3: can't open file