Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

Post by Matthew D. Lamme » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am trying to load Solaris 2.5.1on an Ultra 30 but keep running up
>against the following message:

        [chop]

How about when it starts to POST:

<STOP> - <A>

ok boot cdrom   <---- you type the "boot cdrom"

This is provided your CD-Rom is SCSI ID 6 and recognized by your
box...

It's looking for the kernel on your system disk, which isn't setup
yet...Try that and lemme know how it goes.

-Matt.

--
  Matthew D. Lammers -- NetSet Internet Solutions, Inc.
  http://www.netset.com/

Post by Wiley C. Wimberly, Jr » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>How about when it starts to POST:

><STOP> - <A>

>ok boot cdrom <---- you type the "boot cdrom"

>This is provided your CD-Rom is SCSI ID 6 and recognized by your
>box...

>It's looking for the kernel on your system disk, which isn't setup
>yet...Try that and lemme know how it goes.

>-Matt.

I guess I didn't make myself clear in the original post. I am using boot
cdrom from the ok prompt. It accesses the cd but can't find the file
kernel/unix. The cd shows up just fine with a probe-scsi and while trying to
boot the access light comes on and I hear the cd spin up.

Any other ideas?
Wiley

Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

Post by Wiley C. Wimberly, Jr » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to load Solaris 2.5.1on an Ultra 30 but keep running up
against the following message:

    boot: cannot open kernel/unix

I looked on the cd and all I found was a kernel/genunix
So I used setenv from the ok prompt to change the boot-file to
kernel/genunix but that didn't work either. I then set up an install
server but I still get the boot: cannot open message trying to install
off of the network. This is the version of the cd I have:

# cat release
                       Solaris 2.5.1 Hardware: 4/97  SPARC
           Copyright 1997 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                      Manufactured in the USA 16 April 1997
                       Solaris 2.5.1 Maintenance Update 3

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Wiley

Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

Post by Willard Daws » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I guess I didn't make myself clear in the original post. I am using boot
>cdrom from the ok prompt. It accesses the cd but can't find the file
>kernel/unix. The cd shows up just fine with a probe-scsi and while trying to
>boot the access light comes on and I hear the cd spin up.
>Any other ideas?
>Wiley

Be sure your SCSI termination is proper.  I have seen this on an
unterminated external CD, and the problem was fixed by using a working
terminator.  Yes, probe-scsi worked while the boot did not...
--
Willard Francis Otto Dawson     +1 770 814 5099 / +1 770 814 5202 FAX

4570 River Green Pkwy, Ste 140  http://www.sbs.siemens.com/
Duluth, GA  30096-2564          Standard disclaimer applies.

Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

Post by Matthew D. Lamme » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

        [snip!]

Quote:

>I guess I didn't make myself clear in the original post. I am using boot
>cdrom from the ok prompt. It accesses the cd but can't find the file
>kernel/unix. The cd shows up just fine with a probe-scsi and while trying to
>boot the access light comes on and I hear the cd spin up.

>Any other ideas?
>Wiley

Yes.  Is the CD-Rom broken?  Could be that simple.  Is the device
SCSI ID 6 as I posted before?  Is it for Sun machines?  This will
make a difference.  I have a Toshiba CD-Rom that is for both Sun
and SGI.  But a change on the circuit board had to be made before
working on the Sun...A bit of soldering and installing a switch will
now let me use the external CD-Rom on Sun or SGI.

How about the physical condition of the CD-Rom...Is it all beat up?
How about drive termination?  Is there any?  Is your root drive (probably ID
3) terminated and then you put another device on the chain that is then
considered the "last" device?

Did you remember to sacrifice your goat to the SCSI Chain gods?  SCSI is
magic, and we must not question the gods...  :)  Talk about fun is the
U/W SCSI Raid Array I just installed on our UseNet server...Fast, fast, fast,
but pain in the ass, ass, ass.

-Matt.

--

Post by Wiley C. Wimberly, Jr » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am trying to load Solaris 2.5.1on an Ultra 30 but keep running up
>against the following message:

>    boot: cannot open kernel/unix

>I looked on the cd and all I found was a kernel/genunix
>So I used setenv from the ok prompt to change the boot-file to
>kernel/genunix but that didn't work either. I then set up an install
>server but I still get the boot: cannot open message trying to install
>off of the network. This is the version of the cd I have:

># cat release
>                       Solaris 2.5.1 Hardware: 4/97  SPARC
>           Copyright 1997 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>                      Manufactured in the USA 16 April 1997
>                       Solaris 2.5.1 Maintenance Update 3

>Anyone have any ideas?

>Thanks,
>Wiley

Thanks for everyones help!
Casper was right.
I simply needed to change the boot-file parameter to
/platform/sun4u/kernel/unix
After that everything worked just fine. I don't know why the default empty
value doesn't work. But hey, live and learn.
Thanks again,
Wiley

Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

Quote:>I am trying to load Solaris 2.5.1on an Ultra 30 but keep running up
>against the following message:
>    boot: cannot open kernel/unix

It should be booting /platform/sun4u/kernel/unix.

Perhaps a wrong bootblock/ufsboot file.

Quote:># cat release
>                       Solaris 2.5.1 Hardware: 4/97  SPARC
>           Copyright 1997 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>                      Manufactured in the USA 16 April 1997
>                       Solaris 2.5.1 Maintenance Update 3

I was under the impression that the Ultra-30 required 8/97, but
i could be wrong.

try clearting the bootfile setting in the prompt.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Alan Ghafou » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to load Solaris 2.5.1on an Ultra 30 but keep running up
> against the following message:
>     boot: cannot open kernel/unix

I'm not sure (and couldn't check it), but I found somewhere in Solaris 2.6
manual that you should set boot-file to nothing e.g.
setenv boot-file ""

HTH
Regards
        aLAN
--

Studio Uslug  "AGIT"   [/~~~~\]   tel.    0601 650 488

1. 2.0.30 kernal won't boot

I'm having an interesting problem compiling the 2.0.30 kernel source.
The compile itself appears to complete without errors, but when I try
to boot from the boot floppy produced by 'make zdisk'.  The result is
an infinite loop presumable involving some form of trap.  All I get is
the following ...

   1000
   AX:0208
   BX:0000
   CX:000B
   DX:0000

repeated over and over.  It happens just after the bois finishes its detection
of PnP devices and flashes its device summary.

I've never seen anything like this before.  This isn't the first time
I've built a kernel, but it is the first time since I upgraded my computer
and did a complete reinstall of linux using debian 1.3's ftp method.
What does this mean?  Where am I likely to have gone wrong?
I've rebuilt the kernel several times with progresively simpler
configurations until I has down to little more than floppy, ide, and extfs2
support.  The result has identical in all cases.  I backed of using the PPro
optimizations and compiled a simple 386 version.  No change.  Use a fresh
floppy, no change.  I'm now thinking it must be an unstable version of
of the compiler or some other tool.  Here are the versions I'm using

   kernel-source-2.0.30
   gcc version 2.7.2.2
   libc.so.5.4.23
   libg++.so.27.2.1
   GNU ld version cygnus-2.8.1 (with BFD 2.8.1)
   ldd: version 1.9.2
   insmod version 2.1.34

Is there a likely suspect amongst these?  Am I on the right track?
Any other ideas?

System Details

Debian 1.3
Linux kernel 2.0.29

Pentium Pro 180 on Tyan 1662 motherboard.
32M EDO ram
Western Digital 3.1Gb IDE harddisk
Toshiba 12x CDROM
Matrox Mystique video card
SoundBlaster 16 PnP sound card
logitech serial mouse

The system is NOT overclocked and seems rock solid otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

Scott Little

2. traffic control like Suns nnstat

3. Ultra 10 won't boot from CD-ROM !

4. msgget() program uses more "System" time on one system than another

5. Ultra 5 won't boot from CD

6. How to add manual pages to info

7. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

8. Programming for wide chars

9. slackware 2.0.30 bare.i kernel doesn't boot on...

10. Jumpstart -- boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix

11. CDROM boot error: cannot open kernel/unix

12. boot: cannot open kernel/unix

13. slackware 2.0.30 bare.i kernel doesn't boot on...