Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

Post by Paul Suchom » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Looking for good/bad experiences with the latest release of Solaris 2.4.

: We are looking into setting up a dozen stations for a development department.
: Is it worth it?

: -Alan Narup
:  IDS - Los Angeles

I just started messing with Solaris x86 and I am quite pleased with it.
You can now do something useful with those Intel boxes. :-)

Paul Suchomel

Post by A.Nar » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Looking for good/bad experiences with the latest release of Solaris 2.4.

We are looking into setting up a dozen stations for a development department.
Is it worth it?

-Alan Narup
 IDS - Los Angeles

Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

Post by John Navits » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Looking for good/bad experiences with the latest release of Solaris 2.4.
>We are looking into setting up a dozen stations for a development
department.
>Is it worth it?

Like all things, it probably depends.  If you already have the PC's and they
are supported on the compatibility list it may be worth it.  IMO, getting
Solaris x86 up on an Intel box is the tricky part.  Once up, they seem to
behave fine.  I think most of these problems can be avoided by sticking to
the compatibility list.

On the other hand, CPU seems fine, but even with an Adaptec 2940 disk
controller, i/o doesn't feel good (basically the system freezes during disk
i/o).  Perhaps if these are single user machines this may not be an issue,
since it seems to me that the system isn't slow exactly, it's just not doing
well at multitasking i/o (ok, for you who know out there, let me know why
this is not true, and how to tweak my systems).

Also, perhaps it is just an issue with our systems, but maint. (software) on
our SS5 was significantly less than our  x86 boxes.  I belive we were quoted
for "workgroup servers" for both (uni-processor), but maybe they are
considered different classes - best to check it out.

I don't really think you save that much, or any if you check compairable
systems.  Of course this is partially because you pay ~$600-$3000 for the x86
license, but a quality high-end PC is not as cheap as it appears.  (high end
video, decent monitor, decent network, etc)

Then there is software support.  Sun SPARC probably has one of the highest
availability rates for software around.  This can not be said for the x86
platform at this time.  Hopefully this will change.

Basically, I think you end up spending more time than is useful working with
these systems than it's worth, and you could just drop in a SPARC 5/110 and
make your support, and usability much easier for little if no penalty in
performance.

But don't get me wrong - I am very pleased Sun has the x86 support done.  And
I can't wait till PPC.

There.  I've started another flame war!  ;-)

-john

1. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

We are trying to come up with a division-wide standard for workstations
(a mix of engineering applications as well as office-productivity apps).
We realize that we will always need high-end UNIX workstations for
visualization, CFD, CAE, etc....this standard is for the middle-of-the
road requirements.  The choice has boiled down to that specified in
the subject line.

Can anybody point me to web pages, ftp-sites, etc where I can find
info  (honest-to-god evaluations, opinions, reports, benchmark results)
on the above subject?

If you have experiences (maybe opinions as well) please let me know.  This
has the potential of quickly degenerating into a long UNIX-machine vs PC
battle (I'm a long time Sun fan)....BUT I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON ISSUES LIKE
performance, capability, drawbacks, cost. etc.

Thanks,
Shash

| (817) 763-1495               Electronic Systems Design and Integration   |
| (817) 777-2115 (FAX)         Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems   |
|                              Lockheed Martin Boulevard, MZ 2273          |
|                              Fort Worth, TX 76108                        |

2. Best Unix Solution

3. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

4. Mounting CD-ROM on Compaq 486?

5. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

6. Allow tasks to share credentials

7. g++ can be debugged on Solaris Sparc but not on Solaris x86!

8. Netscape + Modem

9. Does Solaris x86 support multiproccesors? Comments on x86?

10. Linux-x86 binaries under Solaris-x86?

11. Installing x86 Solaris (was: Installing x86 dual-boot with WinXP)

12. SunRAY Server Software for x86 Linux && x86 Solaris

13. can I install ab Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 2.7 x86