Building rpm packages

Post by christi » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:41:55

Hi all,

Running on Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 100.
I see that rpm binary came with the distribution.
I search on the web how buid a rpm package on solaris and found
nothing.
Can someone tells me how to build rpm package on Solaris 9 instead of
using the pkgadd command ???
I know that I have to create a spec file.

I need a simple example.

Thanks.

Christian.

Building rpm packages

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:01:34

Quote:> I see that rpm binary came with the distribution.
> I search on the web how buid a rpm package on solaris and found
> nothing.
> Can someone tells me how to build rpm package on Solaris 9 instead of
> using the pkgadd command ???

WHy would you want to do that?  pkgadd and friends is Solaris'
native packaging utility, so that's what you should use.

Damn Red Hat for reinventing the wheel!

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Building rpm packages

Post by mike schec » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 03:12:55

 > WHy would you want to do that?  pkgadd and friends is Solaris'
 > native packaging utility, so that's what you should use.
 >
 > Damn Red Hat for reinventing the wheel!

Well, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one...
I hated using RPM at first, being a Solaris admin before anything else,
but I quickly realized that rpm is superior to anything I have seen so
far.  A few advantages I see are:

Creating a source RPM that can be rebuilt on any machine with RPM
installed.  This is a huge advantage to pkgmake.

Keeping its own RPM style repository with source code, build
directories, and binaries for each version of each RPM.

Ease of use (once your used to it).  The spec files that RPM's use are
much easier to configure and correct than the pkgtrans files.  I'm not
saying that its difficult to use pkg tools to do this, its just not as
nice and functional as rpm.

Also, if you have a large mixed environment, its nice to have a common
tool to push out to different platforms.   Get rid of pkgadd, swmgr,
swinstall, and go with RPM for ease of administration.  Anyway, just my
$.02.

Building rpm packages

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 07:52:41

Quote:> > WHy would you want to do that?  pkgadd and friends is Solaris'
> > native packaging utility, so that's what you should use.

> > Damn Red Hat for reinventing the wheel!

>Well, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one...

If you disagree, _please_ give useful descriptions. Telling is xxx does
not work is not helpfull at all.

You can do vitually anything with the UNIX package system.
You can put a lot of specific scripts into the install directory.

Quote:>I hated using RPM at first, being a Solaris admin before anything else,
>but I quickly realized that rpm is superior to anything I have seen so
>far.  A few advantages I see are:

>Creating a source RPM that can be rebuilt on any machine with RPM
>installed.  This is a huge advantage to pkgmake.

I am not sure if In understand what you mean...

If you mean a package that compiles and installs the compiled binaries
independant of the target architecture, this can be done easily if you
have a decent source that uses a decent method to compile.
This is _not_ the way that is preferred by FSF :-(
The schily makefile system ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/makefiles
which is used by all my tools (such as star, cdrtools, ...)
compiles on > 30 different platforms without any manual intervention
by just calling 'make'. If you like to create a package that installs
freshly compiled binaries, all you need is to call 'make install'
from the right script in the install directory.

Quote:>Keeping its own RPM style repository with source code, build
>directories, and binaries for each version of each RPM.

???

Quote:>Ease of use (once your used to it).  The spec files that RPM's use are
>much easier to configure and correct than the pkgtrans files.  I'm not
>saying that its difficult to use pkg tools to do this, its just not as
>nice and functional as rpm.

I am very sure, that your statement may be true for differne Linux versions
and Linux on different CPUs, but the RPM system _cannot_ support
what you like on any platform that is in the official list of supported
platforms for a specific source that uses the "GNU method" to compile.

--

Building rpm packages

Post by Andrew Brook » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:54:50

> I search on the web how buid a rpm package on solaris and found
> nothing.

Have a look at ESP Package Manager http://www.easysw.com/epm/
It can generate any format including RPM from the same spec file:
AIX, BSD, Compaq Tru64, Debian, HP-UX, IRIX, MacOS X, Red Hat, and
Solaris formats (and even simple tar).

Andrew

Building rpm packages

Post by mike schec » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 23:09:00

Quote:>>>Damn Red Hat for reinventing the wheel!

>>Well, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one...

> If you disagree, _please_ give useful descriptions. Telling is xxx does
> not work is not helpfull at all.

Huh?  What didn't you understand.  I was saying that I disagree with his
damning of redhat.  What kind of example do you want?  Why do I have to
have examples just to disagree?

 >>Creating a source RPM that can be rebuilt on any machine with RPM
 >>installed.  This is a huge advantage to pkgmake.

Quote:> I am not sure if In understand what you mean...

Well, when you do rpm -ba $specfile, it makes a binary distro for that
platform, as well as a source RPM.  You can then copy that source rpm to
any platform with rpm installed, and type rpm --rebuild $SOURCERPM, and
it rebuilds the binaries for that platform, and installs them.  This is
easier than copying the source tree over, doing a make clean; configure;
make; make install, etc.....

Quote:> I am very sure, that your statement may be true for differne Linux versions
> and Linux on different CPUs, but the RPM system _cannot_ support
> what you like on any platform that is in the official list of supported
> platforms for a specific source that uses the "GNU method" to compile.

Im sure your correct here, but I didnt say "any platform", but said "any
platform with rpm installed".  That statement may not be completly true,
  because it is still doing a make on the system you copy it to, so the
original code still has to be fairly portable.

I guess my point was that you can do a lot "out of the box" with rpm,
that the solaris utilities are missing.

1. Building RPM packages: How to find which files to install from source?

Hi,

I started taking a look at how to build RPM packages from source
tarballs, and it works fine when installing non-binary stuff (eg.
documentation files.)

Thing is, the %files is supposed to list all the files that the
package must install. I took a look at a Makefile and sub-directories
once I compiled the binary file... but what a mess.

Is the standard way to run "make install", and watch what happens, and
then copy/paste this file list?

Thx
FF.

2. Tell Me About crt[x].o?

3. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

4. New Linux resource site, help needed.

5. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

6. broken

7. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. dns & rndc

9. Why does rpm (4.0-26mdk) not want to write package files after building ?

10. rpm package building problems

11. building packages with RPM

12. rpm upgraded - kpackage won't read packages.rpm

13. rpm -e reports rpm package not installed