backspace and delete keys in xterm under XDM behave strangely.

backspace and delete keys in xterm under XDM behave strangely.

Post by Kang Sun ~{Ko?5 » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 06:31:08

Greetings,

        On solaris 2.4 after I started XDM daemon, the console as well
as remote X-terminals are managed by XDM. But the BACKSPACE and DELETE
keys are behaving strangely.

        The BACKSPACE key moves the cursor backward, but inside the
buffer, it appends ^H to the command line instead of erasing the
prevous character.

        The DELETE key does not move the cursor backward, but actually
it erases the previous character in the buffer.

        So is there anyway that one can change the behavior of these
keys? Thank you very much!

-- Kang Sun

backspace and delete keys in xterm under XDM behave strangely.

Post by cjohn ma » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 00:03:22

Quote:>Greetings,
>    On solaris 2.4 after I started XDM daemon, the console as well
>as remote X-terminals are managed by XDM. But the BACKSPACE and DELETE
>keys are behaving strangely.
>    The BACKSPACE key moves the cursor backward, but inside the
>buffer, it appends ^H to the command line instead of erasing the
>prevous character.
>    The DELETE key does not move the cursor backward, but actually
>it erases the previous character in the buffer.
>    So is there anyway that one can change the behavior of these
>keys? Thank you very much!

I have observed the same problem, Solaris 2.4/X11R6pl10.  `stty sane`
in your .cshrc will fix the problem.  Another annoying thing that
we have noticed is that when xterms are started, you inherit 2 environment
variables, LINES and COLUMNS.  When you resize your xterm, these variables
stay the same, and really messes things up like vi and more.  Once you
unset the environment variables, they run correctly.  If anyone has a
solution for this (other than unsetenv in the .cshrc) please post or
email it.

Quote:>-- Kang Sun

cjohn mace

1. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

i've just upgraded from Caldera eD2.4 to 3.1 using the downloadable
binary rpm packages.  i'm running kernel 2.4.2 and KDE 2.1.  now the
backspace key is act as if it's a delete key in all GUI applications. (it
deletes the character the cursor is under and dosen't move the cursor.)
when i go to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) the backspace key is fine. (it moves
the cursor to the left and then deletes a character.)  i'm reading the
"Backspace/Delete mini-HOWTO" but it talks mostly about virtual terminals
and terminal emulators.  i think i might be wasting my time reading this
because i don't know if it will apply to KDE applications.

how can i fix the backspace key to work properly in the KDE GUI
applications?

--
  __/_    _    _
_) /(- \/(-  _) .

2. floating point exception

3. Switching Delete/Backspace key in XTerm only?

4. HELP!

5. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

6. space occupied by a symlink?

7. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

8. linux installation by RPM

9. vi/vedit: backspace and delete not behaving from X-server PC when in

10. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

11. Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

12. X, bash, delete/backspace keys

13. Backspace and Delete in xterm