Anonymous FTP with Virtual Hosts

Post by David Borgese » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We would like to set up virtual hosts with anonymous ftp.  We are
running Solaris 2.5.1 with the stock ftpd from SUN. We have it set up
and it is working fine with one exception.

We want it so that virutal users will not have to add /pub/user to the
end of their address (ftp://www.company.com/pub/user) and we want to
hide the other virtual users from the client.

What we want is to have the address ftp://www.company.com, and this
brings the client right into the users ftp directory.  I know it can be
done because a client of ours that uses UUNet has this configuration.
"ftp://www.panametrics.com"

I have searched high and low to find the answer to this question.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David Borgesen

Anonymous FTP with Virtual Hosts

Post by No spam : bb » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I think your URL is wrong. It should be:

The following will take you to / :

Post by David Borgese » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We would like to set up virtual hosts with anonymous ftp.  We are
> running Solaris 2.5.1 with the stock ftpd from SUN. We have it set up
> and it is working fine with one exception.

> We want it so that virutal users will not have to add /pub/user to the
> end of their address (ftp://www.company.com/pub/user) and we want to
> hide the other virtual users from the client.

> What we want is to have the address ftp://www.company.com, and this
> brings the client right into the users ftp directory.  I know it can be
> done because a client of ours that uses UUNet has this configuration.
> "ftp://www.panametrics.com"

> I have searched high and low to find the answer to this question.  Any
> help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any idea on how to do this?

I really need to get this done.

Thanks,

David Borgesen
1stOmni

Post by Daniel L » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We would like to set up virtual hosts with anonymous ftp.  We are
> running Solaris 2.5.1 with the stock ftpd from SUN. We have it set up
> and it is working fine with one exception.

> We want it so that virutal users will not have to add /pub/user to the

> end of their address (ftp://www.company.com/pub/user) and we want to
> hide the other virtual users from the client.

> What we want is to have the address ftp://www.company.com, and this
> brings the client right into the users ftp directory.  I know it can
> be
> done because a client of ours that uses UUNet has this configuration.
> "ftp://www.panametrics.com"

In the specs you can specify a home directory as
/usr/local/bin/ftp/./home
but this isn't want you want.

One thing, I've thought about is creating MULTIPULE ftp directories.

The entire ftp directory, lib, ect could be re-created (copied) and
then there could be a new ftp directory?  (BTW, I never tested THIS!)

- daniel

Anonymous FTP with Virtual Hosts

Post by hbur » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

stuff deleted

Quote:

> In the specs you can specify a home directory as
> /usr/local/bin/ftp/./home
> but this isn't want you want.

> One thing, I've thought about is creating MULTIPULE ftp directories.

> The entire ftp directory, lib, ect could be re-created (copied) and
> then there could be a new ftp directory?  (BTW, I never tested THIS!)

> - daniel

hi;

I am also interested in this. Does ftp has an option to bind to a specific
address instead to any (INADDR_ANY) where each IP get its on Settings (Directory) ?
If this works virtual hosting could be extended to include also ftp ...

hb

1. Anonymous FTP with Virtual Hosts

I would like to set up virtual hosts with anonymous ftp.

I want it so that virutal users will not have to add /pub/user to the
end of their address (ftp://www.company.com/pub/user) and I want to
hide the other virtual users from the client.

What I want is to have the address ftp://www.company.com, and this
brings the client right into the users ftp directory.  I know it can be
done because a client of ours that uses UUNet has this configuration.
"ftp://www.panametrics.com"

I have searched high and low to find the answer to this question.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David Borgesen

P.S.  would installing wu-ftp help?

2. Find directory of running pid

3. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

4. stinit.def entry for tape drive?

5. Virtual Servers: WWW, FTP, POP, SMTP, SSL capable (not simply Virtual Hosting)

6. Updating a 3.2.5 host to the latest level?

7. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

8. Email SYSLOG files

9. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

10. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

11. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

12. Virtual Domains for Anonymous FTP (how?)

13. virtual name based anonymous ftp?