Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Post by LHradow » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:21:29



We run a RedHat 7.3 samba server here in our shop. I am running into
problems with file size transfers > than 2GB.

I would like to switch to Solaris 9 x86, but I need to know if any one has
had a problem with file sizes greater that 2 GB.

Since it is in a commercial environment, with 1 cpu, I am assuming that I
would need to purchase the copy for 250.00??? I am not entitled for the free
license binary program??

Just need to be clear before I order...

Thanks
Laura

 
 
 

Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 30 May 2003 03:14:34




Quote:> We run a RedHat 7.3 samba server here in our shop. I am running into
> problems with file size transfers > than 2GB.

> I would like to switch to Solaris 9 x86, but I need to know if any one has
> had a problem with file sizes greater that 2 GB.

Solaris x86 from 2.6 onwards handles files > 2Gb, so Solaris 9
will have no problems.  However, I don't know if either the SMB
protocol or SAMBA handles files > 2Gb.

Quote:> Since it is in a commercial environment, with 1 cpu, I am assuming that I
> would need to purchase the copy for 250.00??? I am not entitled for the free
> license binary program??

That sounds right, but I'm not necessarily up to date with
the current licensing model.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

 
 
 

Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Post by Josh McKe » Fri, 30 May 2003 04:01:23


On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:21:29 -0500, "LHradowy"


>We run a RedHat 7.3 samba server here in our shop. I am running into
>problems with file size transfers > than 2GB.

>I would like to switch to Solaris 9 x86, but I need to know if any one has
>had a problem with file sizes greater that 2 GB.

>Since it is in a commercial environment, with 1 cpu, I am assuming that I
>would need to purchase the copy for 250.00??? I am not entitled for the free
>license binary program??

>Just need to be clear before I order...

Before ordering I would try to determine why you're having trouble
with file sizes larger than 2GB under Redhat Linux 7.3. Linux supports
file sizes larger than 2GB so the trouble may be due to something
other than Linux. At the very least you download Solaris x86 and test
it before ordering.

Josh

 
 
 

Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Post by YTC# » Fri, 30 May 2003 05:26:37



> On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:21:29 -0500, "LHradowy"

>>We run a RedHat 7.3 samba server here in our shop. I am running into
>>problems with file size transfers > than 2GB.

>>I would like to switch to Solaris 9 x86, but I need to know if any one has
>>had a problem with file sizes greater that 2 GB.

>>Since it is in a commercial environment, with 1 cpu, I am assuming that I
>>would need to purchase the copy for 250.00??? I am not entitled for the free
>>license binary program??

>>Just need to be clear before I order...

> Before ordering I would try to determine why you're having trouble
> with file sizes larger than 2GB under Redhat Linux 7.3. Linux supports
> file sizes larger than 2GB so the trouble may be due to something

Hey, don't stop him :=}

Quote:> other than Linux. At the very least you download Solaris x86 and test
> it before ordering.

Sounds like good advic
e.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community and not every one is friendly"
http://www.ytc1.co.uk        
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

 
 
 

Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Post by Dave Anderso » Fri, 30 May 2003 07:24:16


 Solaris (Intel and Sparc) since at least version 7 have pretty much
supported >2gb everything.  This includes samba (2.0 and up) and NFS.

 But there are two possible caveats.  If you running ancient code, they
could be coded to the 32 bit file system calls.  In which case you need to
get the source and modify it.  It is typically simple changes.

 Another thing that bites is if NFS slips into version 2 and not the version
3.  This would almost certainly be either a configuration issue or an
implementation issue with Linux.


Quote:> We run a RedHat 7.3 samba server here in our shop. I am running into
> problems with file size transfers > than 2GB.

> I would like to switch to Solaris 9 x86, but I need to know if any one has
> had a problem with file sizes greater that 2 GB.

> Since it is in a commercial environment, with 1 cpu, I am assuming that I
> would need to purchase the copy for 250.00??? I am not entitled for the
free
> license binary program??

> Just need to be clear before I order...

> Thanks
> Laura

 
 
 

Solaris 9 x86 file size question

Post by Ben » Fri, 30 May 2003 11:56:04



> We run a RedHat 7.3 samba server here in our shop. I am running into
> problems with file size transfers > than 2GB.

> I would like to switch to Solaris 9 x86, but I need to know if any one has
> had a problem with file sizes greater that 2 GB.

> Since it is in a commercial environment, with 1 cpu, I am assuming that I
> would need to purchase the copy for 250.00??? I am not entitled for the free
> license binary program??

> Just need to be clear before I order...

> Thanks
> Laura

Largefiles support is the UFS default since S7, at least.  You have to
set a mount option of nolargefiles on a filesystem that has no
largefiles in it to get around it.  Peruse the mount_ufs manpage at
docs.sun.com.  Should be the same x86.