Looking for authors to help write a Certified Solaris Administrators (CSA) study guide for Solaris 2.6.

Looking for authors to help write a Certified Solaris Administrators (CSA) study guide for Solaris 2.6.

Post by Jason Thoma » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Syngress Media, is currently working on a book entitled "Sun Certified
Solaris Administrator for Solaris 2.6 Study Guide". This book will be
published by
Osborne/McGraw-Hill, and will be distributed on a worldwide basis. I'm
writing to
see if you're interested in writing on this text. Our writing model is to
distribute
the authoring duty across several content experts which allows us to tailor
the amount
you contribute to your schedule. It is a model that has worked extremely
well over the
last couple of years, particularly as good authors have less and less time
to devote to
writing an entire book (which usually takes about a year). Currently, we
have about
900,000 MCSE, MCSD and Cisco relarted books in print, and many more on the
way.

We have written detailed outlines of each of the chapters. We contract with
individuals
on a work-for-hire basis to write to our template. Our editors are
responsible for the
technical and copy editing of the material.

Typically, a single chapter takes a few days to write. All contributors
receive credit
in the form of a 1-2 paragraph bio in the book's Introduction, and for many
of our
contributor's this acknowledgement is the primary motivation for writing.
(It is
obviously a powerful credential to be listed as an author of a well known
book).

In addition, we pay an honorarium of between $7 and $12 per page, depending
on length.
Most chapters run 30-35 pages in length.

If you would be interested in working on this project and have the CSA
certification or a significant amount of work experience please contact via
e-mail.

Sincerely,

Jason E. Thomas

Technical Editor

Looking for authors to help write a Certified Solaris Administrators (CSA) study guide for Solaris 2.6.

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Syngress Media, is currently working on a book entitled "Sun Certified
>Solaris Administrator for Solaris 2.6 Study Guide".

It seems strange to concentrate on 2.6. I would suggest Solaris 7
(which has been out a year now, and will be even more widespread
by the time your book comes out, or at least 2.6 will be less
widespread by then than it is now). Actually, it would probably be
even more useful to cover as many releases as you can - the
differences are relatively minor compared with overall content, and
many sites have more than one release in use at a time (we try to
keep one of every release, but that many releases probably only
typical of a software house).

Quote:>Typically, a single chapter takes a few days to write.
>Most chapters run 30-35 pages in length.

I'm amazed...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Looking for authors to help write a Certified Solaris Administrators (CSA) study guide for Solaris 2.6.

Post by Gerald Kell » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Unfortunately, not all applications work with Solaris 7 (yet), some
never will; so I see 2.6 being around for a while.

For example, Lotus Domino R5.0.1a  is the first and only release of
Domino to run on Solaris 7.   Earlier versions die horribly on Solaris
7, which is probably why Lotus does not support doing so.
Since Domino R5.0.1a has many problems of its own, many sites are
going to stick with Domino R4.6.x --which only runs on Solaris 2.6.

So covering both  Solaris 2.6 and 7 would probably be better

Post by Anthony Mandi » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> For example, Lotus Domino R5.0.1a  is the first and only release of
> Domino to run on Solaris 7.   Earlier versions die horribly on Solaris
> 7, which is probably why Lotus does not support doing so.
> Since Domino R5.0.1a has many problems of its own, many sites are
> going to stick with Domino R4.6.x --which only runs on Solaris 2.6.

        I have Domino R5 running on 2.6. I would have preferred
        Solaris 7 but there was an issue of SEVM not having a
        version for 7 available at the time.

Quote:> So covering both  Solaris 2.6 and 7 would probably be better

        You'd also want to cover Solaris x86 (but this is probably
        a moot point for a cert book).

-am

Post by Andrew Gabri » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>> So covering both  Solaris 2.6 and 7 would probably be better

>    You'd also want to cover Solaris x86 (but this is probably
>    a moot point for a cert book).

Certification doesn't cover x86 at all.