why the first tcp connection is so slowly?

why the first tcp connection is so slowly?

Post by Hiler Joh » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:30:21

hi, all

We met a strange phenomenon recently. Our solaris 7 had worked well for a
long time, recently we found the first tcp connection (eg telnet, ftp, pop3)
was very slowly, but once the first tcp connection was connected, the
successive connections were built very fast. After a period, this phenomenon
appeared again. But we found the icmp worked well all the time and tcp 80
(apache) worked well too. So we think maybe the inetd have some problem. But
we aren't sure and don't know how to dig the reason out and solve them. Can
you help us? thanks a lot.

hiler

Post by Newbie JrSysAdm » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 02:16:06

> hi, all

> We met a strange phenomenon recently. Our solaris 7 had worked well for a
> long time, recently we found the first tcp connection (eg telnet, ftp, pop3)
> was very slowly, but once the first tcp connection was connected, the
> successive connections were built very fast. After a period, this phenomenon
> appeared again. But we found the icmp worked well all the time and tcp 80
> (apache) worked well too. So we think maybe the inetd have some problem. But
> we aren't sure and don't know how to dig the reason out and solve them. Can
> you help us? thanks a lot.

> hiler

not specific to tcp, but in general the phenomenon you describe can be
related to swapping of processes and caching the disk.

can you see if the resident size of your running processes exceeds
your physical memory? it's conceivable the inet daemon is being
swapped out to disk when unused, if the physical memory is demandedn
elsewhere.

why the first tcp connection is so slowly?

Post by Hiler Joh » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:49:14

Thanks for the reply,

We haven't changed anything, those phenomenon appeared just recently. In our
test connections only the tcp connection realted with the inetd daemon
services and sendmail(smtp) built very slowly, but the apache(http)
connection built normally and the ping worked very well.

I keep a telnet process to the target host, once I find the connectin build
slowly, I use 'netstat', I find that is very slowly too. what's wrong? how
to solve? thanks a lot.

Hiler

Post by Hiler Joh » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:52:10

Thanks for the reply,

We haven't changed anything, those phenomenon appeared just recently. In our
test connections only the tcp connection realted with the inetd daemon
services and sendmail(smtp) built very slowly, but the apache(http)
connection built normally and the ping worked very well.

I keep a telnet process to the target host, once I find the connectin build
slowly, I use 'netstat', I find that is very slowly too. what's wrong? how
to solve? thanks a lot.

Hiler

> hi, all

> We met a strange phenomenon recently. Our solaris 7 had worked well for a
> long time, recently we found the first tcp connection (eg telnet, ftp,
pop3)
> was very slowly, but once the first tcp connection was connected, the
> successive connections were built very fast. After a period, this
phenomenon
> appeared again. But we found the icmp worked well all the time and tcp 80
> (apache) worked well too. So we think maybe the inetd have some problem.
But
> we aren't sure and don't know how to dig the reason out and solve them.
Can
> you help us? thanks a lot.

> hiler

1. Why Multiple Socket Connections on one Connection....

I'm using linux (rh6.1) connecting to NT server (or Workstation)...

I'm doing socket io... with the regular
bind/listing/accept/close, etc...

when I connect toNT, I always get two accepts....
The first one is valid, and I get the data there and back ok...

The second one basically connects and has no data and then
disconnects.... -- this is the one I have no idea why it's
happening...

Can anywone tell me why this is so...

Also...

I'm using the same perl script (also used C++) to connect to the NT
machine, and this works great everytime on NT....
When I connect using linux, I get a few valid  valid connections and
then I start gettting send or receive socket errors

This may be related to the second phantom socket getting an accept...
but I'd sure like to know why I'm getting this....

Thanks,
        sergio olivas

2. Solaris 2.4 X86/Com Port/16550?

3. One NFS connection fine, one NFS connection slow

4. FTP script?

5. Multilink PPP with one fixed connection, and one PPPoE connection

6. linux sound driver

7. tcp connections get stuck -- WHY?!

8. Presario 3060 Cordless Mouse Woes

9. Netscape start slowly (very slowly)

10. ipip tunnel bidirectional over ONE TCP connection?

11. TCP connections stuck in state FIN_WAIT2. Why??

12. Mid-range Linux: Slowly, very slowly, Linux is coming to the AS/400

13. TCP Connection come up halfway, Why?