Is there differences between Solaris 9 and Linux 2.6 in term of :
- performance w.r.t database, web, and other server related apps
- compatibility with various hardware
- hardware vendor support, e.g disk storage
- dependability - i've seen Solaris on SPARC running for years
- recoverability when disaster happen
- interopability with other OS
Is it safe to say that outside SPARC platform, Linux win for all the above?
How about if we install Linux on SPARC as well? Many are comfortable with
single platform architecture such as SPARC from Sun Microsystem or they are
already invested in SPARC hardware.