UUCP over TCP/IP: Sun or Taylor?

Post by Frank-Christian Kruege » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

I'd like to exchange mail between two sites via UUCP over TCP/IP.

I know Taylor UUCP, and I use it on the local side.

On the remote  machine (Sparc-Solaris-2.6) there are the Sun Networking UUCP
packages installed.

Can I use the Sun UUCP on the remote side?
Should I use it, or should I pkgremove it and compile&install Taylor?

Does the Sun UUCP do UUCP via TCP/IP in a way compatible with Taylor UUCP?

Does anybody have example config files for me as a strting point. The Sun config
files are quite different from what I know from taylor.

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi!

>I'd like to exchange mail between two sites via UUCP over TCP/IP.

>I know Taylor UUCP, and I use it on the local side.

>On the remote  machine (Sparc-Solaris-2.6) there are the Sun Networking
>UUCP packages installed.

>Can I use the Sun UUCP on the remote side?

Yes.

Quote:

>Should I use it, or should I pkgremove it and compile&install Taylor?

That depends on your personal preference and whether you (or the
folks who will run the site) need UUCP support from Sun.  If you
prefer Taylor and getting support from Sun for the UUCP exchange
is not needed, then you should probably install Taylor.  But it's
your choice.

Quote:

>Does the Sun UUCP do UUCP via TCP/IP in a way compatible with Taylor
>UUCP?

Yes, it can talk to Taylor just fine, whether over a modem or over TCP.

Sun's UUCP uses the HDB configuration files rather than Taylor config
files, but there are no problems talking the g, G, e, f, or t protocols
with a machine running the Taylor UUCP.

Quote:

>Does anybody have example config files for me as a strting point.
>The Sun config files are quite different from what I know from taylor.

Take a look at the UUCP documents at this URL (it's a long one)
and see if they can help you out:

  -Greg