Solaris x86 and mouse configuration

Post by Gunnar Orvarss » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I've just installed Solaris 2.4 on an x86 for the first time.  Unfortunately,
I was using a 2 button MicroSoft compatible mouse, when the installation took
place.

I've been trying to replace it with a Mouse Systems compatible 3 button mouse,
as the 3rd button is absolutely necessary in X, but I haven't managed to find
out how I should make the operating system aware of that change.

Does anyone know how this should be done?

--

Hafrannsoknastofnunin/Fiskistofa                 Telephone:   +354 5697909
(Marine Research Inst./Directorate of Fisheries) Fax:         +354 5697990

:
: I've been trying to replace it with a Mouse Systems compatible 3 button mouse
: as the 3rd button is absolutely necessary in X, but I havent managed to find
: out how I should make the operating system aware of that change.
: Does anyone know how this should be done?

Sure.  You need to re-configure the keyboard, display, and mouse
options.  This is accomplished with the 'kdmconfig' command.

Login as root:

  # kdmconfig -u
  # kdmconfig -cf

This will return these to their default state and then lead you
through an interactive re-configuration.  I have done this many times
after changing hardware or to change my display resolution.

Cheers,

Jason

 \___________________________________________/
 /                                           \
/  WWW: http://www.mindspring.com/~mastaler/  \

Post by Patrick Bos » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> I've been trying to replace it with a Mouse Systems compatible 3 button mouse,
> as the 3rd button is absolutely necessary in X, but I haven't managed to find
> out how I should make the operating system aware of that change.

> Does anyone know how this should be done?

Try "man kdmkonfig". This will let You reconfigure Your keyboard, mouse and
Graphics Adapter.

Patrick                         Patrick Bosch    Computer Science Dept. II
---                             University of Bonn, Germany +49-228-550417
       ()
    __//=\)      _________      At night we ride through mansions of glory
___(_)>>/(_)____/ R1100RS \____ on suicide machines... (Bruce Springs*)

1. Solaris 10 x86, Thinkpad and mouse configuration

I asked this question in a Solaris x86 newgroup but did not get any
answer. So I try here:

While using my Thinkpad in the docking station I use an external USB
mouse. If the Thinkpad is not in the docking station I  use the internal
mouse (PS/2) of the Thinkpad.

Now everytime I switch from Dockingstation use to non-dockingstation use
(and vice versa)  I need to run kdmconfig to reconfigure the mouse.

Can I avoid this?

I'm using Solaris 10 x86 and the Sun xserver (not xorg).

regards

Bernd

--
Bernd Schemmer                         http://home.arcor.de/bnsmb/index.html

2. DNS zone transfer and firewall

3. x86 mouse configuration: help!

4. Template type as function return type

5. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

6. Konqueror - View document source options?

7. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

8. Device Operating System #0 & #1

9. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

10. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

11. Solaris x86 9 (8/03): Device Configuration Assistant at every reboot?

12. Minimum configuration for X86 Solaris 2.4

13. Solaris X86 Serial Port Configuration