grabbing console messages - CDE

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

In a similar vein to an earlier posting,

I get very annoyed, running my Sparc 5 with CDE as an X-terminal, when console
messages come up over the CDE workspace and mess it all up, necessitating a
refresh.

For example, if I su to root in a dtterm logged in to my machine, it gives the
"su root succeeded" message at the bottom of the screen and "scrolls" the
window up, leaving the windows all messed up.

How can I capture these messages elsewhere?

Any suggestions?  Remember I'm running it as an x-terminal, so if I start a
console window, that looks at my CDE host, not my sparc 5.

(Also, if I look at ~/.dt/startlog, there is a /dev/console permission denied
message in there -- what's that?)

Thanks in advance.

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin (sort of...)

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Life?  Don't talk to me about life...  -- Marvin the Paranoid Android >>>

1. shl on console hangs on console message

When running shl on the console, if a console message appears, like
"Uugetty respawning too rapidly", it puts the terminal in a state where
whatever I type is echoed, but nothing is recognized, and ^Z does not do
anything.  I have to go to another terminal and kill the shl process.

Does anyone know why this happens?  It is probably one of those internal
things that can't be corrected.

I am writing a shl clone that exhibits the same behavior.

--
Bruce Momjian           | 830 Blythe Avenue               | home: (215)853-3000

2. debian hercules 4000xt kyro series tv out problem

3. HELP: How to grab *all* console keyboard input?

4. dosemu: general protection fault

5. Grabbing tty (rather than console)

6. FAQ / Good Books on AIX SysAdmin

7. Grabbing contents of console window

8. How to download "runas" or "su" for NT4 ? <-- RUNAS - using password HELP!!

9. xterm can't grab console under X11R5 fix 9

10. How to present console messages without a console window?

11. X Server on remote display grabs console input

12. Why don't console message appear in my ``console'' window?

13. HELP: How can I grab ALL console keyboard input?