(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by Kevin Gallowa » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Unix Engineers
============
We have a need for high grade Unix people with 5+ years C/C++ programming
experience under AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 or Linux.

We need people for Unix to Unix, VMS to Unix and NT to/from Unix
migration/porting projects. The projects are VERY interesting, USA and
Worldwide. The great part of this business is that you get to see all of the
cool technology used on all sorts of systems, across every industry sector.

Unix Migration Assessment Engineers
=============================
We also need some Unix application assessment folks. The aim of this group
is to assess the time/cost/schedule for a migration from one Unix platform
to another, or to a completely different O/S; i.e. NT/W2K, MVS

We have positions that are full-time and contract, based out of Austin TX,
ability to travel is a requirement.

If you are interested in these positions, please forward your resume to

Assessment Engineer' in the subject line as appropriate or fax to: (512)
306-8696.

Check us out at www.sector7.com

Sector7 USA Inc. is an equal opportunity employer

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Kevin Galloway quoth:

[] Unix Engineers
[] ============
[] We have a need for high grade Unix people with 5+ years C/C++ programming
[] experience under AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 or Linux.

First, 'UNIX' ne 'Linux'.  Second, this, nor any of the other groups to
which you posted are meant for jop postings.  So, in essence, go bother
people who want to be bothered with job postings.  You may also want to
consider brushing up on your Netiquette as well.

Regards,

anm
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                       |

| perl -le'print map?"(.*)"?&&($_=$1)&&s](\w+)]\u$1]g&&$_=>`perldoc -qj`' |
`------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by Michael Kraem » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Kevin Galloway quoth:

> [] Unix Engineers
> [] ============
> [] We have a need for high grade Unix people with 5+ years C/C++ programming
> [] experience under AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 or Linux.

> First, 'UNIX' ne 'Linux'.

Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.
The only difference I see is that it still lags behind the "commercial" versions
in certain areas ( JFS, LVM, smit, HACMP, ... ).

Post by Larry Kilgall » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Kevin Galloway quoth:

>> [] Unix Engineers
>> [] ============
>> [] We have a need for high grade Unix people with 5+ years C/C++ programming
>> [] experience under AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 or Linux.

>> First, 'UNIX' ne 'Linux'.

> Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.

In many countries the courts that decide trademark cases would disagree.

Post by Greg Wimpe » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.  The only
> difference I see is that it still lags behind the "commercial"
> versions in certain areas ( JFS, LVM, smit, HACMP, ... ).

I think that the most-often used adjective to describe Linux is
"Unix-like", as no AT&T-derived code was used in writing the Linux
kernel.  It provides a POSIX-compliant system call interface, but that
stil doesn't mean, technically, that it's Unix.

If you want a jounaling file system, ReiserFS is available right now,
as is (I think) ext3.  One or both of these will be incorporated into
the next stable kernel version (2.4), to be released later this year.
I think I've heard there is also a volume manager available for Linux,
although I don't know much about it.  And as for SMIT, well, I've
never been the world's biggest SMIT fan, but with RPM, linuxconfig,
and other tools, Linux has a pretty large set of system admin tools.
I have no idea if anything like HACMP is available or in the works for
Linux.  It would be cool, though :)

BTW, I'm not trying to slam AIX here, just noting that Linux is a
fairly feature rich O/S.

--

Comments my own, not my company's.

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On 7 Jul 2000, Michael Kraemer quoth:

[] > On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Kevin Galloway quoth:
[] >
[] > [] Unix Engineers
[] > [] ============
[] > [] We have a need for high grade Unix people with 5+ years C/C++ programming
[] > [] experience under AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 or Linux.
[] >
[] > First, 'UNIX' ne 'Linux'.
[]
[] Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.

And you certainly are entitled to your opinion.. However although
Linux is UNIX-like, there are some major differences.

[] The only difference I see is that it still lags behind the "commercial" versions
[] in certain areas ( JFS, LVM, smit, HACMP, ... ).

These are all being actively worked on to my knowledge.

anm
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                       |

| perl -le'print map?"(.*)"?&&($_=$1)&&s](\w+)]\u$1]g&&$_=>`perldoc -qj`' |
`------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by kanni » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

promote these to comp.unix.admin and you wil earn a lot of mails from Rev.

flavours of unix. He's the reason for a lot of traffic in the other group -
sometimes nice to read.

kannix

> mit Datum 7 Jul 2000 11:04:40 GMT in comp.unix.aix:

> !> [] Unix Engineers
> !> [] ============
> !> [] We have a need for high grade Unix people with 5+ years C/C++
programming
> !> [] experience under AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64 or Linux.
> !>
> !> First, 'UNIX' ne 'Linux'.
> !
> !Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.

> It isn't.

> Disregarding the "Unix" trademark for the ease of this discussion, I
> will use the name Unix here for an OS that has the quality and
> reliability of Unix.
> Linux does not.
> Linux is a multiuser/multitasking OS that tries to comply with POSIX
> standards (whatever these are good for).

> Main argument, why Linux isn't Unix:
> On a Unix, I expect the kernel, the libraries and the utilities to
> interoperate.
> On a commercial Unix, I expect the developer/vendor to have the
> source code from which it actually is compiled.
> On a freeware Unix, I expect to be able to get the source code from
> which it actually is compiled.

> On Linux, chances are high that nobody in the world knows from
> which source your running system was actually compiled. You may
> figure out what this implies concerning reliability and bug-fixing.

> And even if you get a distribution for which this does not apply,
> still the kernel and the libraries and the utilities are developed
> seperately from each other, without appropriate coordination or
> quality crosschecks.

> regards,
> Peter

> P.S. and, yes, I am unhappy with IBM promoting Linux.
> --
>    --- Communications powered by FreeBSD --
> Write to: Peter Much * Fichtenstr. 28 * D-65527 Niedernhausen *
+49-6127-967111

manchmal)

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>mit Datum 7 Jul 2000 11:04:40 GMT in comp.unix.aix:
>!> First, 'UNIX' ne 'Linux'.
>!
>!Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.

>It isn't.

>Disregarding the "Unix" trademark for the ease of this discussion, I
>will use the name Unix here for an OS that has the quality and
>reliability of Unix.
>Linux does not.
>Linux is a multiuser/multitasking OS that tries to comply with POSIX
>standards (whatever these are good for).

Really? Sometime this is hard to believe. Linux is still neither
UNI-98 compliant nor can I see people working on it now.

Quote:>On Linux, chances are high that nobody in the world knows from
>which source your running system was actually compiled. You may
>figure out what this implies concerning reliability and bug-fixing.

This seems to be an advantage of SuSE Linux. You get all modified sources.

Quote:>P.S. and, yes, I am unhappy with IBM promoting Linux.
>--
>               --- Communications powered by FreeBSD --

Unfortunately FreeBSD is not yet UNIX-98 complient too.....

--

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by Larry Herzog Jr » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> !Huh ? IMHO Linux is just another flavor of UNIX.

> It isn't.

> Disregarding the "Unix" trademark for the ease of this discussion, I
> will use the name Unix here for an OS that has the quality and
> reliability of Unix.

That's kind of redundant, don't ya think??

Quote:> Main argument, why Linux isn't Unix:
> On a Unix, I expect the kernel, the libraries and the utilities to
> interoperate.
> On a commercial Unix, I expect the developer/vendor to have the
> source code from which it actually is compiled.
> On a freeware Unix, I expect to be able to get the source code from
> which it actually is compiled.

This seems to be a fairly odd way of defining an OS as a UNIX OS....These
are merely YOUR development preferences....

Quote:> On Linux, chances are high that nobody in the world knows from
> which source your running system was actually compiled. You may
> figure out what this implies concerning reliability and bug-fixing.

> And even if you get a distribution for which this does not apply,
> still the kernel and the libraries and the utilities are developed
> seperately from each other, without appropriate coordination or
> quality crosschecks.

It is obvious that the UNIX98 standard can't be utilized to define what
UNIX professionals regard as "UNIX"....Functionality, interface
commonality, etc should be the benchmarks, not a preference as to how a OS
is developed....That makes no sense....

Labeling linux as a UNIX OS doesn't mean you have to LIKE the OS....

_____
Larry Herzog Jr.        "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,
ZRXOA #1029              but in humility consider others better than

(JOB) Seeking Unix Engineers for Migration/Porting

Post by Peter Mu » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

mit Datum Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:19:49 -0500 in comp.unix.aix:

Hm, this goes quite astray from comp.unix.aix. Is there some
unix.advocacy or other appropriate group to move to?

!> Disregarding the "Unix" trademark for the ease of this discussion, I
!> will use the name Unix here for an OS that has the quality and
!> reliability of Unix.
!
!That's kind of redundant, don't ya think??

No, I don't think so. I just wanted to make clear that I can not
take care about the ownership of the unix trademark (because I don't
even know who does own it nowadays), but nevertheless will use
the term unix in a way that seems useful to me for discussion
purposes. AFAIK this is tolerable according to european copyright
law.

!> Main argument, why Linux isn't Unix:
!> On a Unix, I expect the kernel, the libraries and the utilities to
!> interoperate.
!> On a commercial Unix, I expect the developer/vendor to have the
!> source code from which it actually is compiled.
!> On a freeware Unix, I expect to be able to get the source code from
!> which it actually is compiled.
!
!This seems to be a fairly odd way of defining an OS as a UNIX OS....These
!are merely YOUR development preferences....

I do not define Unix here. I just pronounce a requirement,
not only for unix, but for any supportable software. Something
that does not fulfill this requierement is not only no unix, it is
not at all... - hm, well, maybe it is some penguin...

!> On Linux, chances are high that nobody in the world knows from
!> which source your running system was actually compiled. You may
!> figure out what this implies concerning reliability and bug-fixing.
!>
!> And even if you get a distribution for which this does not apply,
!> still the kernel and the libraries and the utilities are developed
!> seperately from each other, without appropriate coordination or
!> quality crosschecks.
!
!It is obvious that the UNIX98 standard can't be utilized to define what
!UNIX professionals regard as "UNIX"....Functionality, interface
!commonality, etc should be the benchmarks, not a preference as to how a OS
!is developed....That makes no sense....

Well, I am sorry I do not know about the UNIX98 standard. To
say the truth, I did not follow much conceptual discussions
during the last three years, because I was (and am) over-occupied
with setting up lots of machines. Moreover, I did not see much
necessity to create a new standard and didn't expect one to
appear. Possibly some kind of "take the things as they are and
make the best for the customer out of them"-mentality. Would
somebody kindly point me to an appropriate information source?

About the other point ("preference...development"): structured
approach and consistency in the very core of a product's design
is, among others, what comes out as it's robustness, it's stabi-
lity, it's endureability. This, more or less, is what is tradi-
tionally implied by the term "german engineer's work".;-)

But today, things are different. Instead of quality ensureance
we have quality management. And ISO 900X gives you the actual
possibility to manage something that doesn't even exist.

!Labeling linux as a UNIX OS doesn't mean you have to LIKE the OS....

Well, ok, agreed. The other question for me is: can I, honestly,
give this to a customer to fulfil his production needs? And
"this is much better than using windows" is -for me- not enough
argument.

rgds,
Peter
--
                   --- Communications powered by FreeBSD --
Write to: Peter Much * Fichtenstr. 28 * D-65527 Niedernhausen * +49-6127-967111

1. misc.jobs: Sr. PORT Engineer UNIX portability threads, etc.

Sr. Technical Leader
Principal Engineer
Seeking Senior level developers to research design and develop a  "product
portability layer" of s/w interfaces for the next generation of h/w
platforms.  Applicants will assume a very active role in determining
product strategies for product portability.  They will develop various high
level operating systems type interfaces (file management, memory
management, threads, communication) for the applications to ensure
portability to a large variety of operating systems.  Will assist in
porting a large graphics product to other platforms.

  Briefly:

Advanced pertinent industry experience required
MASS. residents encouraged to apply
Superb salaries and benefits at excel. co.

Requirements:

Experience in below ideal:
Experience porting very large products
3-5+ yrs: C, C++, FORTRAN, UNIX-HP, DEC, SUN, IBM, SGI, Windows and
              perhaps Window NT.
Programming experience with UNIX internals and heavy UNIX knowledge,
   C-UNIX a plus.
Performance monitoring, performance analysis experience a plus.

This project requires exceptional expertise in highly specialized areas.
Industry experience, preferably in this type of development is sought.
Salaries will range from the mid-$60's K to $90 K and higher to $100 K ++
for exceptional candidates.  Bonuses, incentives and full, extended
relocation may be offered.  These are full time, permanent positions to
support long term development.  Candidates must be in North America now,
but need not be U.S.P.R.

To apply in confidence please send your resume and / or  contact:

Mike Rund
Research Employment
P.O. Box 1062        (positions in MA)
Riverton, UT  84065

or

(do not Re: this posting, use Compuserve address!)

or call (801)-254-9330 - direct line
or call for fax no.

2. tarring/gzipping

3. MA-BOSTON: Top Growth Company seeks Unix Systems Engineer (fulltime)

4. Sendmail

5. Unix System Engineer Sought (Zurich)

6. Help! POP3 services have died on me...

7. MA-BOSTON: Top Growth Company seeks Unix Systems Engineer (fulltime)

8. Q:X display Lag

9. Job Offer--Startup Company--Unix System Engineer

10. JOBS - SOFTWARE ENGINEERS - C++ , UNIX , MOTIF

11. Job Offer, Zurich: UNIX SYSTEM ENGINEER

12. Job Opportunity -- Unix System Engineer

13. Job Offer--Unix System Engineer--Startup Company