Anecdotes Needed - Sparc w/ Solaris 2.X - Performance

Anecdotes Needed - Sparc w/ Solaris 2.X - Performance

Post by Erik Oliv » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 04:24:44

I would like some anecdotes on the performance of a Sparc 10 with
multiple users running solaris 2.X.  What we are looking at is a Sparc
10/41 or 10/51 with 64 Mb Ram and plenty disk and swap running Solaris
2.X.  The load will be 10-30 users logged in using elm/mail/mailx
all day, with occasional emacs/vi launches.  And at various times 8-12
people doing relatively simple, << 10K lines of code, gcc compiles, and
their associated edits.

What sort of performance can we expect out of the machine under these
situations?

-Erik
--

   (DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are mine and not the college's.)

Post by Casper H.S. D » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 21:09:59

>I would like some anecdotes on the performance of a Sparc 10 with
>multiple users running solaris 2.X.  What we are looking at is a Sparc
>10/41 or 10/51 with 64 Mb Ram and plenty disk and swap running Solaris
>2.X.  The load will be 10-30 users logged in using elm/mail/mailx
>all day, with occasional emacs/vi launches.  And at various times 8-12
>people doing relatively simple, << 10K lines of code, gcc compiles, and
>their associated edits.
>What sort of performance can we expect out of the machine under these
>situations?

Adequate performance, in our experience.  We a 10/30 serving a
similar user community with 64MB of RAM.  In adition, it serves
12 Solaris 2.x diskful clients over NFS.  There appliction mix
is:
        - telnet, ftp
        - mail (elm, mailx)
        - TeX
        - Splus (and similar symbolic/math manipulation packages)

Casper