Solaris x86 and PCNFSPro

Post by Mike R. Prevo » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 06:38:05

Hi.  I'm running Solaris 2.4 x86 and PCNFS_Pro.  Want only a few clients
to be able to mount my Solaris server with read and write.  I set up a
dfstab entry as follows:

     share -F nfs -o rw=pc1.my.domain /export/data/DOS_MOUNT

Then I did the shareall and restarted the rpc.pcnfsd.  I can "log in"
to the Solaris host from the WFW/PCNFSPro machine (ps1.my.domain) but
when I try to mount the dir in the server (umm.  "connect the network
drive" in windows speak) the windows machine says "Could not connect
drive - Network error".  I can telnet and ftp with no problems and
authentication is working.

ALSO: It can connect if I only do:

   share -F nfs /export/data/DOS_MOUNT

on the server  but even though it connects, I can only read -- not write.
Sounded like a permissions problem so I changed the permissions on the
server dir to 777 and still couldnt write.  I DONT want to share the data
in this dir with the whole world so I need the rw= in there.

Anybody get this working?

1. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

We are trying to come up with a division-wide standard for workstations
(a mix of engineering applications as well as office-productivity apps).
We realize that we will always need high-end UNIX workstations for
visualization, CFD, CAE, etc....this standard is for the middle-of-the
road requirements.  The choice has boiled down to that specified in
the subject line.

Can anybody point me to web pages, ftp-sites, etc where I can find
info  (honest-to-god evaluations, opinions, reports, benchmark results)
on the above subject?

If you have experiences (maybe opinions as well) please let me know.  This
has the potential of quickly degenerating into a long UNIX-machine vs PC
battle (I'm a long time Sun fan)....BUT I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON ISSUES LIKE
performance, capability, drawbacks, cost. etc.

Thanks,
Shash

| (817) 763-1495               Electronic Systems Design and Integration   |
| (817) 777-2115 (FAX)         Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems   |
|                              Lockheed Martin Boulevard, MZ 2273          |
|                              Fort Worth, TX 76108                        |

2. dump and DAT, what block/density to use?

3. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

4. eth0 receiver overrun...please repost (or email me) the patch

5. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

6. installing linux-2nd drive

7. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

8. Nvidia nForce

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Does Solaris x86 support multiproccesors? Comments on x86?

11. Linux-x86 binaries under Solaris-x86?

12. Installing x86 Solaris (was: Installing x86 dual-boot with WinXP)

13. SunRAY Server Software for x86 Linux && x86 Solaris