Cannot Print to /var/spool/print??

Post by Dave Keen » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I have been printing fine under Solaris 2.5 for months now.
All of the sudden I try to print and it says:

Quote:>lp lpit

Error creating job: check spooling directory: /var/spool/print

I check all the permissions on those directories, they look fine
but just to make sure I change them to 777 on the /var/spool/print
and it then says:

Quote:>lp lpit

couldn't validate local spool area (/var/spool/print)
The console window says:

Oct 30 19:43:01 sparc4 lp[2406]: Error creating job: check spooling directory: /var/spool/print

I have looked at the FAQ and did not see it covered, and the answer book
was not much help. I deleted the printer and started over, same thing.

---

* http://sparc4.texas.net/      Solaris/Mac/UNIX Admin          *
* Trident Data Systems          "My opinions are my own"        *

1. Print spool files filling /var/spool/printer

Solaris 2.6

I have started getting complaints from users that old documents are
being printer from one of our network printers.

Looking at the /var/print/spool directory I see that there are 100's of
spool files. The 10th file , date wise, is .printd.lock
doing a ps -ef also shows a printd process running
also there are about 20 lpr processes

I have no idea whats going on. Is it possible that this printd process
was interfeering with the spool directory ?
What does printd do ?

how can I investigate why spool files for this one particular printer
are filling up the spool directory ?

any suggestions would be appreciated and yes I am in RTFM mode.........

Thanks,
Mike.

3. printing to (I'm sorry) NT print spool

4. Is there an app that can window into a dos box on a network?

5. printing from windows to a linux print spool

6. ls colors

7. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

8. LILO problem

9. cannot execv /var/spool/lpd filter

10. Printing Printing Printing

11. /var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

12. pop3d -ERR cannot open mailbox /var/spool/mail/userid

13. cannot create /var/spool/output/lpd/.seq