Freeing up space and OpenLook/OpenWindows systems

Freeing up space and OpenLook/OpenWindows systems

Post by A. Nony, Mous » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 04:49:26

I appologize if this topic is addressed elsewhere. If it is, sorry for
the waste; point me to it and I will read what's already there.

I have a SPARCStation 1+ (don't laugh, I like it), and I am running
frustratingly low on disque. The machine came to me pre-loaded with
Solaris 7, with both CDE and OpenLook/OpenWindows System. I don't use
OpenLook (I really like CDE), and to my knowledge have not installed any
software that relies upon it. I would like to know what would break if I
were to pkgrm all of the OpenLook and OpenWindows packages. Since I do
not have an external cd-player enclosure, and hence, no cd-support (as
soon as I have a few spare bucks, I plan to get one), I am a little
afraid to do anything that could have serious reprocussions, since I
would have severe difficulties getting the system back online.

In addition to a full installation of Solaris 7, I have the following 3rd
Parti packages:

ANDIrand        random-0.7
SMCbash                 bash
SMCgzip                 gzip
SMCossh                 openssh
SMCossl                 ossl
SMCprngd        prngd
SMCzlib                 zlib

and MS's iexplorer 5 for UNIX.

I know, get 2 extra disques and a cd-player and reinstall with /, /usr
and /export/home each on a seperate disque (or even better, get an
UltraSparc and a really big disque). These are plans for after I manage
to get a job.

All advice appreciated.

--
A. Nony, Mouse

Address purposely munged
to foil address-harvesting robots.

To contact me: maus <AT> *space <DECIMAL> org

-- Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. ~ Robert Doisneau

1. FREE E-MAIL, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

Sounds unbelievable right?  Well it's true.  What's the catch?
There is no.  Why free accounts?  Well as a Computer Science
major planning on gaining some administrative experience, I
felt it would be the best way of attracting users.  Any risks
involved?  One, the system is going to
be run by me, <Hehehe> an amateur system administrator.  I
have no professional experience with UNIX-based systems.  But I
know what I am doing to an extent.  I'm a 2nd year Computer
Science major at Ramapo College of New Jersey and I've worked on a
UNIX-based system for 2 years and now my new Linux system for a few
months.  Obviously I don't know the
in's and out's of it and so that's the risk you have to deal with.
So how much harm could I do?  Well I could unintentionally delete
your account with about 10 key strokes.  So what do I plan to do
about that?  Well daily/weekly backups will need to be performed.
Anything else I need to know?  Well you need an internet connection
to reach my system.

Well I have much more to tell you, but let me head into one area
which I need to mention.  A free account is great, but if it leads
to abuse there will be problems.  I'll tell you know that I reserve
the right to remove your account at any time if I sense abuse.  That
means all of Megabytes of your important e-mail will be lost.  I'm telling
you this now because I'm sure there will be people on here that know
more about computers than I.  But if I sense anything, I have have to
take action in order to prevent everyone else from being screwed.  Well
that's about it.  If you are still interested and want to know more give me

2. remove the fat_cvf

3. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

4. Any Problems with TMC Triton Board

5. Meta key in OpenWindows olwm,Xview, & OpenLook

6. upgrading to pl14

7. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

8. Apache 1.3.27 Installation (Start) with SSL

9. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

10. FREE EMAIL ACCOUNT FREE DISK SPACE FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

11. Free disk space on the Unix file system...

12. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!