comparing solaris on SPARC vs. Intel

Post by Miles R. Fidelm » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I'm currently running a SunServer with Solaris 2.6.  I've been considering
putting a Solaris machine on my desk, and have been wondering if Solaris
on an Intel platform behaves the same - and if the same range of software
will compile on the Intel platform.

Any comments from folks who've run on both hardware platforms would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Miles Fidelman

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hi Folks,

>I'm currently running a SunServer with Solaris 2.6.  I've been considering
>putting a Solaris machine on my desk, and have been wondering if Solaris
>on an Intel platform behaves the same - and if the same range of software
>will compile on the Intel platform.

yes, if you have the source, it should compile fine.
it behaves similarly, IF you ahve a three-button mouse. But I miss the extra
keys.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

comparing solaris on SPARC vs. Intel

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Folks,

> I'm currently running a SunServer with Solaris 2.6.  I've been considering
> putting a Solaris machine on my desk, and have been wondering if Solaris
> on an Intel platform behaves the same - and if the same range of software
> will compile on the Intel platform.

> Any comments from folks who've run on both hardware platforms would be
> very much appreciated.

Yes, it works nice.  Most programs that will compile out-of-the-box on
sparc will also on x86.

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

comparing solaris on SPARC vs. Intel

Post by Miles R. Fidelm » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: >Hi Folks,
: >
: >I'm currently running a SunServer with Solaris 2.6.  I've been considering
: >putting a Solaris machine on my desk, and have been wondering if Solaris
: >on an Intel platform behaves the same - and if the same range of software
: >will compile on the Intel platform.

: yes, if you have the source, it should compile fine.
: it behaves similarly, IF you ahve a three-button mouse. But I miss the extra
: keys.

how does it deal with a two-button mouse?

Post by Anthony Mandi » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I lived like this for a while, until I realized that a new mouse is
> really not that expensive.  Really, it's not.

        No, its not. Logitech make nice 3 button mice.

Quote:> I think you get buttons one and two, i.e. you don't get the "right"
> mouse button (which is the left mouse button for me since I mouse
> left-handedly).

        You can cord them (press both) to get the ADJUST button. But
        it doesn't work with some apps that only work with lower level
        X primatives (like xterm).

-am

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > I lived like this for a while, until I realized that a new mouse is
> > really not that expensive.  Really, it's not.

>    No, its not. Logitech make nice 3 button mice.

I second that.  And considering that playing quake is nightmare with 2
button mouse, there is not much to think about.

P.S.
Beware of those really cheap serial mouses that emulate 2-button MS
mouse by default and need special drivers to get all 3 buttons
working.  PS/2 mouses (like Logitech Pilot for example) should work
OK.

--

Post by Andrew Gabri » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> > I lived like this for a while, until I realized that a new mouse is
>> > really not that expensive.  Really, it's not.

>>        No, its not. Logitech make nice 3 button mice.

>I second that.  And considering that playing quake is nightmare with 2
>button mouse, there is not much to think about.

Personally, I don't like the Logitech mouse - when I hold it
perfectly stationary on the desk and then push one of the
buttons, the pointer moves a few pixels - this makes it
useless for accurate working. Microsoft mouse does not suffer
this, just a missing button :-(

A new Ultra 5 has just turned up, and I'm wondering if the
Sun 3-button mouse on it will work on a PC (it has the right
connector). If so, I might look into orderig another one of
those.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Personally, I don't like the Logitech mouse - when I hold it
> perfectly stationary on the desk and then push one of the
> buttons, the pointer moves a few pixels - this makes it
> useless for accurate working. Microsoft mouse does not suffer
> this, just a missing button :-(

Hmmm...  Maybe you have defective mouse.  I also have Logitech mouse,
and it works perfectly.

Quote:> A new Ultra 5 has just turned up, and I'm wondering if the
> Sun 3-button mouse on it will work on a PC (it has the right
> connector). If so, I might look into orderig another one of
> those.

I think I saw somewhere on www.sun.com that they have PS/2 compatible
3 button mouse.

--

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>>        No, its not. Logitech make nice 3 button mice.

>Yes, in fact at one point one model of PS/2 3-button mouse they
>made was for all intents and purposes identical to the one that
>IBM shipped with RS/6000's at one point.

>So, you get that nice "unixy" feeling when using it.  And for
>only $9 last time I saw them.

erm... WHERE did you see that? I'm having problems finding cheap, good
PC mice.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
Secret nONsONaTIAL monologue...

comparing solaris on SPARC vs. Intel

Post by Howard Cheun » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Press both button at the same time. It is same as the middle button.

> : >Hi Folks,
> : >
> : >I'm currently running a SunServer with Solaris 2.6.  I've been
considering
> : >putting a Solaris machine on my desk, and have been wondering if
Solaris
> : >on an Intel platform behaves the same - and if the same range of
software
> : >will compile on the Intel platform.

> : yes, if you have the source, it should compile fine.
> : it behaves similarly, IF you ahve a three-button mouse. But I miss the
extra
> : keys.

> how does it deal with a two-button mouse?

1. sparc (ultra sparc) solaris 8 vs. intel solaris 8 comparison

Hi all:

A newbie question:

Can anyone give an opinion for  comparison between Sparc (or Ultra sparc)
Solaris 8 and IA solaris 8?  I currently has a Sparc 20 machine running
solaris 8.  Thinking about installing IA solaris on a intel pc machine.

Any hardware installation problem/limitations and software limitations?  I
also appreciate any hyper links.

Thank you very much.

Chang

2. linux/n64

3. Intel solaris vs Sparc solaris

4. A problem with debugger dbx

5. Dig on Solaris/Sparc vs. Solaris/Intel

6. ppp Dialer: How to setup?

7. Comparing performance SunOS 4.1.3 vs. Solaris 2.3 on Sparc LX ???

8. can't load system recovery

9. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

10. Sparc/Solaris vs Intel/Linux: Webserver

11. Linux vs Solaris on Intel and SPARC

12. Solaris on Sparc vs. Intel -- Arguments...?

13. Informix/Sparc/Solaris vs MS SQL Server/Intel/NT40