setuid, setgid

Post by Dominick DiManto » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 04:11:03

Hello, all:

Can someone tell me exactly what is the need for the setuid and setgid
permissions? I'm a little fuzzy on how those two work. I get different
answers at school, but, I figure, there are alot of guru's out here
than can help me better understand the concept of setuid permission
and setgid permission. Thanks.

setuid, setgid

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 04:20:56

>Can someone tell me exactly what is the need for the setuid and setgid
>permissions? I'm a little fuzzy on how those two work. I get different
>answers at school, but, I figure, there are alot of guru's out here
>than can help me better understand the concept of setuid permission
>and setgid permission. Thanks.

They're used to change your access rights while you're running the program.

For example, the file /etc/passwd is not writable by ordinary users,
because that would allow any user to change any other user's password.  But
you need to be able to modify it when you run the "passwd" program.  This
program is setuid to the user that owns the file, so it can write it, and
ensures that you only modify *your* line in the file.

--

Genuity Managed Services, Woburn, MA

1. setuid/setgid PERL CGI script

Hello,

I am currently using a setuid and setgid PERL CGI script to start and
stop a process on the web server from the a browser. The strange problem
which I now encouter is that somehow after a few minutes the setuid and
setgid bits dissapear from the PERL script. Why's that ???

I am currently running Apache 1.3.21. Also is there maybe another way to
run easily a server side script under another user ?

Thanks

Regards

2. writing serial drivers

3. Allow setuid/setgid core files

4. Compiling a Static Sendmail 8.8.5 Binary on Solaris 2.5.1

5. setuid setgid problem

6. Ied utility equivalent for HP-UX

7. setuid/setgid C wrapper code

8. Aha1505

9. setuid()/setgid()

10. SETUID/SETGID security

11. setuid/setgid scripts for pppd initialization

12. AIX setuid/setgid security hole

13. Perl 4.019 fix: setuid/setgid