Solaris 10 x86 : How to change/add files in the boot archive for maintenance mode

Solaris 10 x86 : How to change/add files in the boot archive for maintenance mode

Post by Bernd.Schemme » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 05:48:37

Hi,

when I boot my Ferrari "normal" Solaris uses the German keyboard layout
as expected (the eeprom entry is correct)

When I boot into Maintenance Mode Solaris uses the US keyboard layout
because the eeprom entry in the boot archive is set to US keyboard.

What is the recommended way to change this behaviour?

Can I just unzip the boot archive, create a lofi device, mount it,
change the file; and recreate the gziped file?

And is it possible to add other files to the boot archive? For example
can I add bash to the boot archive?

I'm using Solaris x86 snv_33.

regards

Bernd

--
Bernd Schemmer                         http://home.arcor.de/bnsmb/index.html

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 05:43:05

>when I boot my Ferrari "normal" Solaris uses the German keyboard layout
>as expected (the eeprom entry is correct)
>When I boot into Maintenance Mode Solaris uses the US keyboard layout
>because the eeprom entry in the boot archive is set to US keyboard.
>What is the recommended way to change this behaviour?

You will need to rebuild your failsafe archive *or* you can
add:

        -Bvar=value

to the multiboot command line for the options needed.

Quote:>Can I just unzip the boot archive, create a lofi device, mount it,
>change the file; and recreate the gziped file?
>And is it possible to add other files to the boot archive? For example
>can I add bash to the boot archive?

Sure.

Casper

Post by Bernd.Schemme » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 08:33:48

>>when I boot my Ferrari "normal" Solaris uses the German keyboard layout
>>as expected (the eeprom entry is correct)

>>When I boot into Maintenance Mode Solaris uses the US keyboard layout
>>because the eeprom entry in the boot archive is set to US keyboard.

>>What is the recommended way to change this behaviour?

> You will need to rebuild your failsafe archive *or* you can
> add:

>    -Bvar=value

> to the multiboot command line for the options needed.

>>Can I just unzip the boot archive, create a lofi device, mount it,
>>change the file; and recreate the gziped file?

>>And is it possible to add other files to the boot archive? For example
>>can I add bash to the boot archive?

> Sure.

Another problem:

If the service boot-archive fails a shell is called. In this shell the
kbd-type according to eeprom is German but in reality Solaris uses the
US keyboard layout

Can I change this ?

regards

Bernd