Newbie Questions

Post by Gary » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:51:21

Hi Guys,

Questions

1.) Can i run programs on Solaris for x86 if they run on Solaris For
SPARC?

2.) How do i configure Solaris 9 for Home Workgroups Use? (so windows
can reslove the Solaris Box)

Cheers and Thanks
Gary

Newbie Questions

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:58:47

> Hi Guys,

> Questions

> 1.) Can i run programs on Solaris for x86 if they run on Solaris For
> SPARC?

Only if you re-compile them.  The binaries are not compatible.

Quote:> 2.) How do i configure Solaris 9 for Home Workgroups Use? (so windows
> can reslove the Solaris Box)

Install and configure Samba if you want your Solaris system to look like a
Windows box to other Windows boxes.

In addition you will have other questions.  Please see:

http://sun.drydog.com/faq

Newbie Questions

Post by CJT » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:09:55

> Hi Guys,

> Questions

> 1.) Can i run programs on Solaris for x86 if they run on Solaris For
> SPARC?

If you have an x86 version.  You can't run a SPARC version on x86; the
instruction sets of the two processors are different.

Quote:

> 2.) How do i configure Solaris 9 for Home Workgroups Use? (so windows
> can reslove the Solaris Box)

Look at www.samba.org - there's a copy of Samba packaged with Solaris 9.
Quote:> Cheers and Thanks
> Gary

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. C99 initializers for kernel/sysctl.c

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. Mirror Gopher??

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. DAT recommendation: 4 GB, plug & go w/2.3?

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

8. help with compiling bootpd/bootpgw

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.