Printing staircases to network printer

Post by Tony Singleto » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:10:23

Hello,

   I've setup printing to a stand alone Lexmark Optra S1855 printer with
the following:

  lpadmin -p lex1 -s <ip-address>
  lpadmin -d lex1

   and prints are arriving at this printer via the lp command, except that
the text is stair-cased (ie the print head is not doing a carrage return
after each line), what can I do to sort this?

   Also does anyone now of any online docs that explain how the Sys-V
printing system works, as I have no idea of the meaning of
models/filters/printwheels etc. I presume that I'll need some sort of
filter to fix the problem above but how? why? where?

Thanks in advance

Tony Singleton

Printing staircases to network printer

Post by Joe Durusa » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:09:27

        If this is the only the printer is used, you can solve the problem by
seting a switch on it somewhere to make it do a return when it sees a
linefeed.
Check the printer docs for more info.  Otherwise, you would have to
fiddle the software,
as you suggested in your post.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:40:19

> Hello,

>    I've setup printing to a stand alone Lexmark Optra S1855 printer with
> the following:

>   lpadmin -p lex1 -s <ip-address>
>   lpadmin -d lex1

>    and prints are arriving at this printer via the lp command, except that
> the text is stair-cased (ie the print head is not doing a carrage return
> after each line), what can I do to sort this?

>    Also does anyone now of any online docs that explain how the Sys-V
> printing system works, as I have no idea of the meaning of
> models/filters/printwheels etc. I presume that I'll need some sort of
> filter to fix the problem above but how? why? where?

> Thanks in advance

> Tony Singleton

The easiest way is to open the manual for your printer
and find the section where it tells you how to configure
the printer to treat a newline (NL) as a Carriage-Return
Newline (CR/LF).

Printing staircases to network printer

Post by Karl Raffelsiepe » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 06:41:26

Use the standard filers from Solaris. Assuming you've defined the
"content type" for your pritner

lpadmin -p lex1 -I postscript

On your print server, as root

# cd /etc/lp/fd
# for filter in *.fd;do
    > name=`basename $filter .fd`
    > lpfilter -f $name -F $filter
    > done
that will provied most basic filter and printer needs networked or local
printers.

If you have your priners.conf file setup up to accept Solaris extentions
you can use these files to do "psnup" or "enscript" features.

You can even make your own filters for pretty print and the likes.

Check out the AnswerBook2 for complete details.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quote:> Hello,

--
Karl Raffelsieper              Tel:    (613)226-7046
Cadabra Design Automation Inc.                Fax:    (613)226-5276

Nepean, ON K2E8C4

Post by Greg Andre » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 06:57:47

>   I've setup printing to a stand alone Lexmark Optra S1855 printer with
>the following:

>  lpadmin -p lex1 -s <ip-address>
>  lpadmin -d lex1

>   and prints are arriving at this printer via the lp command, except that
>the text is stair-cased (ie the print head is not doing a carrage return
>after each line), what can I do to sort this?

Besides the MarkVision software available from Lexmark's web site,
you can get the printer's ethernet card to add the carriage return
for you with this configuration:

  lpadmin -p lex1 -s <ip-address>\!lex1_CR

Quote:

>   Also does anyone now of any online docs that explain how the Sys-V
>printing system works, as I have no idea of the meaning of
>models/filters/printwheels etc. I presume that I'll need some sort of
>filter to fix the problem above but how? why? where?

In this particular case, you probably don't need to get so deeply
involved in the SysV print system.  However, there are some good
docs on http://www.docs.sun.com/   Select the Solaris 8 System
Administration Guide, Volume 2.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Post by Greg Andre » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 06:59:57

>Use the standard filers from Solaris. Assuming you've defined the
>"content type" for your pritner

>lpadmin -p lex1 -I postscript

>On your print server, as root

># cd /etc/lp/fd
># for filter in *.fd;do
>    > name=`basename $filter .fd`
>    > lpfilter -f $name -F $filter
>    > done
>that will provied most basic filter and printer needs networked or local
>printers.

Unfortunately, the "content type" is ignored when the printer is
configured as a remote printer, as Tony described (the lpadmin -s
option).

  -Greg